All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:05 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Manual for Loopback is located at the help menu or with cmd-?.

In MegaSeg set output to loopback and not speakers.

In stereotool set input to loopback and output to the output you want the sound to come from.

Do you have a mixer in the chain or do you do all "in the mac" and do want to get to transmitter directly from the mac?

Regards

MrDonT
For some reason I can't get rid of the reverb on the audio. I've now tried this on two different Mac's and in each case, even with these settings, I still get echo in the background. I've even set the audio outputs down way low but that still doesn't solve the problem.

Is it possible that some computers just won't work with Loopback? I can get everything to work perfectly without Loopback if I use separate computers for MegaSeg and Stereo Tool. Would prefer to use a single computer for obvious reasons but unless I can get the noise issue resolved, I won't be able to use Loopback.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:28 am 

As long as you dont tell your signal path it is kinda difficult to help.

So how does the signal go?
MegaSeg->mixer->Stereotool->air?
MegaSeg->Stereotool->mixer->air?

Does the signal ever leave the Mac for a mixer or is it all internal in the mac? If so, how do you plan to interact using a mixer?

{edit}
In Loopback, is "Monitor" on? Then turn it off.

Regards,

MrDonT

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 pm 

Quote:
As long as you dont tell your signal path it is kinda difficult to help.

So how does the signal go?
MegaSeg->mixer->Stereotool->air?
MegaSeg->Stereotool->mixer->air?

Does the signal ever leave the Mac for a mixer or is it all internal in the mac? If so, how do you plan to interact using a mixer?

{edit}
In Loopback, is "Monitor" on? Then turn it off.

Regards,

MrDonT
Solved the problem. I created two devices instead of just one for MegaSeg. Have one for MegaSeg and one for Stereo Tool. That resolved the feedback issue. Thanks for the feedback and help Mr. Don T.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:29 am 

"Kewl", happy DJing :)

MrDonT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm 

Another problem has cropped up. Currently using a 2012 Mini and 2012 iMac to test Loopback (now paid version) along with MegaSeg 6.0 Pro and ST on the same computer. In every case after running the three programs on each computer, ST simply stops working and crashes. Reboot required. It happens about every 30 minutes with the iMac and about every hour with the Mini.

I didn't have any trouble running one computer with Megaseg feeding the audio to the other computer with ST. This problem has only started with Loopback.

I should note that both computers have 8 GB of memory and the usage of RAM is around 3.5 GB with all software running. CPU usage is also low in the system at less than 40% on average. Seems like a conflict with the software somewhere.

I've also noted that initially after the restart of ST I don't see any hesitation in the processing levels or meters. But after it has run a while, the meters in the Levels area start to lock up momentarily. Up to a second a time. Audio still plays but the bars are stationery.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue? Using High Sierra for the OS.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:53 pm 

I am going to put the software on my brand new 2018 entry level Mini to see if the problem still exists. Wondering if it has something to do with the OS. Mojave on the new unit. Doing a clean install of High Sierra on the 2012 iMac and will reinstall the software from the beginning to see if that works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:53 am 

Its an OS issue.
Roll back to 9.02 or earlier for anything before Mojave on older hardware :)
Been there, done all of if...

Regards,

MrDonT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:09 pm 

MrDonT. Yup. I installed Mojave and the problem is gone. Working perfectly again on the 2012 iMac. 12 hours of continuous operation over night without a glitch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

There has been an issue with mutexes (somethng you can use to make parts of the program wait on each other) - as it turns out, Mac OS X only supports at most 256 mutexes PLUS files (of the type of mutex that we were using). We accidentally discovered this on a system where the number of threads (under CPU & Latency) was set high, which caused it to try to use more than 256 mutexes.

We've switched to a different type of mutex, but there's no new build avaialble yet. I'm not sure (we can't easily reproduce the issue here, because we don't have a system with older OS X versions anymore) but I'm hoping that this will fix the issue. On the latest OS X the new version is stable - but the old one was stable as well...

As a side note, it's really annoying how every OS X version appears to change things. Stereo Tool 1.12 from 2004 which ran on Windows 95 still runs without any issues on Windows 10, and the latest builds even still run on XP. In 15 years, we've only once had an issue with a crash due to a Windows update (when Vista came out, a bug in the Stereo Tool code suddenly triggered a crash during startup). But on Mac, every update appears to create - (or in this case, fix) - issues. Note that if the mutex issue that I mentioned is the cause of these crashes, there was a good reason for crashing. But it's still hard to develop stable software if it behaves differently on each OS version.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 pm 

hvz. Thank you for the detailed explanation into the problem. Fortunately I now have it working fine with Mojave and don't plan to update any of the software for the foreseeable future now that it is operating perfectly along with Loopback and Megaseg in the chain. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

I don't like using Windows all that much but if ST is stable on it and I can find a similar program to Loopback for Windows, I may go that route for the second radio station I plan to develop. Better options are available for automation in the Windows platform than Mac. About the only plus I can see with using Windows now is the automation software choices are better.