All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Use GPU for processing
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:26 pm 

I do some work in crypto and I have a suggestion. Can you code in a driver for stereo tool that will enable GPU's to be used for audio processing?
I could only imagine the level of quality you could get out of GPU processed audio in low latency real time.

What does everyone think?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:40 am 

Quote:
I do some work in crypto and I have a suggestion. Can you code in a driver for stereo tool that will enable GPU's to be used for audio processing?
I could only imagine the level of quality you could get out of GPU processed audio in low latency real time.

What does everyone think?
I dont know details, but in short, no.

Are you on Beam or Grean ? :) :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

It can be done but:
- It will take a lot of time (probably a year or more) to convert all the processing code.
- Many things in audio processing aren't very suitable for GPU processing, because they depend on previous samples. We already use AVX whereever we can - which can do 8 (in some cases 16) calculations simultaneously. So the only pieces of code that would benefit from a GPU already don't use much CPU.
- If you have a fast CPU, the CPU load already isn't very high as it is, and you can reach latencies below 6 ms already. Using a GPU - if it is infinitely faster than the CPU which it isn't - would only save 1 ms or so.

So, it would basically take a lot of time and not have any real benefits. You can (and we have just done this earlier this year) buy a pc for under 350 euro/400 dollars that can run 3 Stereo Tool FM instances side by side at the absolute highest quality (150%) and lowest latency (5.5 ms) for FM (*)....

(*) You can't currently run 3 instances all at this low latency because you need ASIO for this and only 1 program can use ASIO at the same time. We're working on that...