All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:54 pm 

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a preset. The music we send on the web whit us radio station is dutch pirate music.
But all of the standard presets in stereo tool for web is 0DB with peaks over the 0DB when i try to the output on -1DB or -2DB is my output good but my loudness is also -1DB or -2DB i'm looking for a good preset for dutch pirate music on the web. I want my loudness to be as loud as possible, for good music and sound. If I set the output to -1db or -2db, I should not be softer in terms of loudness.

This is my stream url for mp3 192 kbps, http://89.39.105.171:8306/stream
And this is my stream url for aac plus 64 kbps, http://89.39.105.171:8306/stream2

How is the sound or can it be even better? The version of stereo tool is 8.20.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Lossy compression (as used for AAC and MP3) will always cause overshoots, so you kinda have to lower the peak level of your audio before streaming it. (In fact, almost all of the built-in presets are already around -1 dB because of that). The only way to be louder without overshoots is by dramatically increasing the bitrate - a higher bitrate will give fewer overshoots. Streaming is very different from FM in this regard - what Stereo Tool sends out and what a listener actually gets can be quite different due to the lossy codec.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 am 

There is no or the default preset for web sends -1db out, all of the standard presets for web sends 0db out with peaking over it. I know how all technoligie works so I do not have to know, but I am looking for presets. loud presets that are -1db or -2db so that the peaken remain below the 0db and the loudness is there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:48 am 

Is it only saving your own skin? Or are there people here who can help me seriously? Otherwise we might as well say that this form does not mean anything when I ask a normal question, but nobody is there to help me!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:48 am 

Hans' explanation is correct, when encoding a signal with a lossy codec the peak level will almost always be higher after decoding. Presets are made for their sound and not for a specific output level (otherwise we'd need many versions of each preset, one for -1dB, one for -2dB, one for -3dB... etc).
Use the output level setting in the soundcard section to lower the level to your desired value. Use the clipper drive setting to get more or less loudness. Though keep in mind that more clipping (and thus more loudness) comes with a cost, as it's harder for lossy codecs to encode sound with heavy clipping (resulting in worse sounding encoded audio).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:27 am 

Quote:
Is it only saving your own skin? Or are there people here who can help me seriously? Otherwise we might as well say that this form does not mean anything when I ask a normal question, but nobody is there to help me!
Maybe with this kind of attitude people are not really enthousiastic about helping you? I've seen a couple of your posts now that have this "help me or close this forum" attitude, and speaking for myself: that doesn't tempt me to participate in a discussion with you.

Like already said by others: taste is something personal. You come from the dutch pirate world: you know there are people around that like Omnia, others like Orban. In StereoTool there are a number of presets, test them out yourself and see what you like. Also the reply from Hans makes sense: just lower your output a bit to participate on the behaviour of compression/encoding on the internet.
That has nothing to do with saving own skin or not wanting to help you.