All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:14 am 

Do the limiters in the multiband sections do anything that might happen too fast for the eye to see... in other words, could they be limiting so briefly that my eye doesn't see the indicator turn on, or do the indicators "hang" for a second when they turn on so they can't be missed?

I ask because it sounds to me like I'm getting limiting before I get the thresholds to a point where the indicators light.

Additionally, when you use "limit before compression" does it actually limit the band and then feed the compressor, or does it affect the way the compressor reacts to the input... and if the second is true, is that channel then actually limited after the compression?

Thanks for your insight!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:14 am 

Quote:
Do the limiters in the multiband sections do anything that might happen too fast for the eye to see... in other words, could they be limiting so briefly that my eye doesn't see the indicator turn on, or do the indicators "hang" for a second when they turn on so they can't be missed?
Yes, it could happen too fast to see in the multiband compressors/limiters. The level displayed is the level in the middle of each block of samples processed. So if you're limiting very fast, it could be that the limiter has already released in the middle of a block while it was limiting at the beginning.
Quote:
Additionally, when you use "limit before compression" does it actually limit the band and then feed the compressor, or does it affect the way the compressor reacts to the input... and if the second is true, is that channel then actually limited after the compression?
The latter. Limiting is always applied after compression, but with "Limit before compression" the compressor responds as if the signal has already been limited.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 am 

Great info; thank you! That explains why I thought I could hear something long before I could see it.

I doubt it would be high on the priority list, but I'd love to see the option to have the limiter indicator stay on for half a second or something like a peak overload light so I'd REALLY know what was going on.

I also wonder: are the clippers on the individual bands as clean as the Advanced Clipper? I'm also wondering what kind of damage clipping the individual bands followed by clipping the final mix would do... I suppose I could test that and see what my ears think. :-)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:10 am 

Quote:
I also wonder: are the clippers on the individual bands as clean as the Advanced Clipper? I'm also wondering what kind of damage clipping the individual bands followed by clipping the final mix would do... I suppose I could test that and see what my ears think. :-)
No, they aren't: they're simple clippers. Though the clipping artefacts only end up in that specific band, not in the others. To me a little bit of clipping in the middle bands does give a bit of "softness" in the sound. But as with anything: use it with care.