All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:30 am 

Hi Hans,

I have used stereotools to restore many compressed files with very good (and sometimes incredible) result !!

However there are some recent albums that are heavy compressed (DR4) that still contain a lot of distortion after declipping.

Here a sample (original and declipped):

http://www.pro-software.it/test_declip.zip

There is a way to reduce more distortion without lose too much band ?

Thank you !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 pm 

Wow. I hear what you mean. I'm certainly no expert on these control settings, -however, I have observed a type of behavior that I think is affecting this music & more. This is what my EYES tell me that declipper is missing while I watch the declipped display.
There is a certain type of composite waveform that appears to be very low frequency clipped bass that has higher frequencies riding along it in various states of clip. Stereotool seems to get the smaller clips but misses the fact that a much larger/longer waveform is beneath them - clipped itself. When I observe this in real time - my intuition tells me that it's clipped bass due to the level/tilted top that (as I said) often contains higher frequencies riding along.
Has anyone else observed this sort of thing? If so, is there a setting to help detect it and fix it without creating more issues than are being fixed?

Also, has anyone observed that it sometimes appears that the declipper does not restore clips as well when the RESAMPLED/ANALOG setting is checked? I've seen that more red appears on the display (as it should), but it appears to me that the actual effectiveness of the declipper decreases because fewer peaks seem to be going over the top gray line on the display as opposed to when the RESEAMPLED/ANALOG is UNchecked. My intuition tells me the reverse should be the case. Comments?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:15 am 

This is not even close to what i saw.