All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:02 pm 

I'm building up a parts list for a dedicated ST rack PC build and would appreciate suggestions on a super cool running Intel processor. The forum thread discussing these is more than two years old so there's possibly some better deals on later chips?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:22 am 

This is my test build server: Win 10, Xeon E3 1220 V2, 12GB ECC ram (overkill as Windows seems to only use about 4GB with ST 8.52 running), a 256GB Intel SSD. Nothing else running on the server.

ST standard (without advanced clipper, FM features, etc) uses <8% of the CPU according to Windows. ST initially showed up to 18% in the latency page bar graphs, this dropped down to 6% when I put the GUI on core 0, the I/O on core 1, and the processing chains on cores 2 and 3 with real time enabled.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:12 pm 

Thanks for the details.

I believe one can easily use a smaller hdd for O/S + ST and I was planning on an inexpensive 60GB SSD?

Re processor, so it sounds like one does indeed require a quad core rather than a dual core?

I have four RAM slots on my MB so was planning on 4 x 2MB of memory but looks like I could still be comfortable with 4 x 1MB but possibly safer with 8 as I'll be ordering the full ST package with clipper etc but am also weighing up the more costly Omnia SST as it comes with codec pair so I can run it at in a studio based PC with a NUC or similar up at the transmitter side decoding.

David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 pm 

SSD are not expensive these days, the Intel 545s 256GB SSD for example is very new, quite fast, and typically about US$70 (Newegg, Amazon, etc). The Xeon E3 1220 V2 is an older entry level Ivy Bridge Xeon, it was replaced by the E3 1220 V3 Haswell. TDP is 69W but so far it's been sitting around 26W in my system. I choose this because it was a lower power quad core Xeon and because I was thinking of using the server eventually at an unattended LPFM transmitter site. The whole server (IBM x3250 M4) is just 1RU and was purchased second hand (eBay, dude) for US$150, I changed out the old HDD to the SSD for reliability and the slight speed boost.

Quad core is entry level today, the low end units have four real cores but no hyper threading. This suits ST as you want real cores to share out the processing load. For the LPFM there is going to be an increased load as I want ST to create the MPX but I don't know yet what that load is going to be as I'm waiting for some low cost 24 bit 192 kHz USB DACs (<$50) to come in for testing.

8GB of RAM should be plenty from what I've seen so far.