All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Some Beginner questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 pm 

Hello all!

I'm pretty new in this radio-business, so I have some questions.
If this is the wrong section, hopefully someone can move my post...

Our actual setup is like that:
Using StationPlaylist and their SPL encoder to create a MP3 stream in the studio.
On transmitter-site is a PC receiving the stream with Zara Radio and gives the signal to the transmitter.

We would like to replace the SPL encoder with Stero Tool, to use their compressor and we'd love to use the RDS function.

The only information I have at this point is, that for RDS FLAC is needed with a sample rate of 192khz. This is the information I have from Stero Tool.
But honestly, I have no idea where this 192khz should come from, I mean, a normal CD has 44,1khz. So, does that mean that there is special hardware needed, in example a sound card at the transmitter side?

So, is someone here able to give me some hints and provide me with more information?
Would be woderfull...

Thanks in advance!
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 pm 

Hi!

So, assuming you broadcast in stereo now, where does the stereo multiplexing take place? I'm assuming your transmitter does this now. In case you want to use the stereo generator and RDS generator from Stereo Tool, you have to use the mono MPX input of the transmitter, not the stereo input (assuming it has such an input). To generate this MPX signal from a PC you need a sound card that supports 192kHz output.

It depends on where you want to generate the MPX signal. If you want to do this at the studio and you want to stream the signal to the transmitter, then MP3 certainly won't work. Stream wave, flac or MicroMPX to the transmitter site. Alternatively, you could stream stereo audio to the transmitter and have the pc there generate the MPX signal (so RDS encoding would take place there, not at the studio). But keep in mind that doing processing after MP3 compression is always something to avoid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 am 

Hello!

Sorry for my late response, I had to check some of your "questions" for myself.
I know now what the mono MPX is ;-)
Soundcard for this I also understand.

The best solution would be of course to feed the signal with RDS in the studio.
For better understanding: StationPlaylist -> Stero tool -> stream -> receive stream -> mono MPX input -> transmitter?
This point is not clear for me.