All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 pm 

Hi,
Regarding to post 'Synchronize FM transmitters - - how to configure?', I try to configure ST at transmitter site with Synchronize function.
For the moment I use winamp who play a received streaming from shoutcast and send to VB Cable1.
ST standalone Input is set to VB Cable1.

But in the previous post Hans, you say that To Synchronize FM transmitters, ST need to play the streaming itself.
I try then to not use winamp, set Input of ST as stream (via VLC) and SCA Input from VB Cable2 (as input device) where a local playlist is played. Into SCA Input, 'Add this sound card input to' and ' Use as Backup Input' is checked.

Problem is when VLC stream is broken (for ex during internet connexion problem), ST seems frozen, and Backup input is not started. When connexion is up again, ST restart to ply streaming.

Question: How to use SCA Input as backup when Primary Input is use with VLC Streaming ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:49 am 

Hi,
nobody know ?
Hanz is it so by design or it's a bug ?
Regards
Stef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 am 
Site Admin

What you're trying to do here is not how it was designed, and that's why it doesn't work.

If you use any VLC input and VLC doesn't give any reply (for example because the stream is gone), then the whole thing will block until there's input again.

For synchronization, you can't use VB Cable or a similar solution, Stereo Tool needs to connect to the input signal directly. Because the way you do it now, Stereo Tool has no clue what the delay of the input that's coming from Windows is.

So, either run Stereo Tool as a plugin in Winamp, or use the VLC input in Stereo Tool for the main input. Both solutions will make the backup signal unusable though.

Another solution, slightly more annoying to setup, would be to:
1. Run Winamp with Stereo Tool which doesn't do any processing but does send the output to VB Cable via the "Direct Sound Card Access". Then you can enable the FM Transmitter Synchronization in the Stereo Tool plugin that runs in Winamp.
2. Run a second Winamp instance for the backup stream. Also feed that to VB Cable. You can enable synchronization for this one as well.
3. In Stereo Tool, use the two VB Cable signals as main and SCA input.

Where I saw Winamp here you could use any player that can load Stereo Tool as a plugin, or the VLC input in Stereo Tool and run 3 Stereo Tool instances. If you want to run multiple Stereo Tool instances, rename them (Stereo_Tool_input1.exe etc), that way the settings are stored separately for each instance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:51 pm 

Thanks Hanz for your reply and your solution.

Indeed in this case I can use one instance of ST plugin into Winamp just for FM Transmitter Synchronization. You have the solution :-)

Subsidiary question: I I use a second instance of ST with VLC input, how to retrieve stream info to use with RDS part of ST ? For the moment I use AIMP plugin into winamp to save title song from stream to file.txt for ST RDS Radio Text

Thanks again Hanz to take time to give us solution ;-)
Stef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

UECP or some other web-based way of sending it is the easiest, an alternative it to share a drive between the two systems.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:23 pm 

Hi,
I have configured this night winamp with ST as plugi-in. All is siwtch off except FM Output, Synchronize FM Signals and FM Transmitter Enabled.

It's amazing, it's work :-) I have set a buffer size of 10 sec as you advice into FM Output.
Question, I had into winamp Input "Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder" a Streaming Data Buffer of 384Kb to protect again drop. Now is it still needed ?
Other question, the sound was a little more better before (only with winamp output to ST standalone). The low frequency were deeper. Is it due to ST DSP Plugin into winamp ? due to the resample (set Resampling quality to 32) ? or to the FM Output used ?

Thanks again for your explanation, it's may be a good idea to create in the forum a section: Tutorial when we can write step by step how to or paste your video ... :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:02 am 
Site Admin

The quality loss could be caused by 3 things, as far as I can think of:
- The MPEG compression. That definitely doesn't help!
- Mismatch in levels between the two, resulting in a different sound than before
- An error in the presets; maybe you didn't split it in 2 parts; something might not be on anymore or on on both sides.

Tutorial is a good idea.. Actually, given that I hardly have time for that, I might need to add a Wiki or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:08 pm 

Thanks for your answer Hanz,

Between time, I dropped wimamp for AIMP always with the ST plugin dll, and it's better. Don't ask me why, but winamp don't evoluate since 10 years. AIMP is still followed.

If someone can test and confirm ?
To store the title song from the stream locally in C:\OnAir.txt for the RDS, I use 'Current track into to file' plugin :-)

Regarding your anwser Hans and the right splitting, for the moment the ST_plugin has only FM output and transmitter activate with non option and send to the main ST. In the main ST, Dequantizer and Delossifier are activate in Repair section. Do I need to set these 2 option in the ST_plugin and no more in the ST main ? Is it better ?

The goal of the tutorial section in the forum is to help you if we can also post into ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:29 pm 

Feedback after a month,

The synchronization between the 2 transmitters work good. I use AIMP with ST dsp_plugin. Due probably to the fact that the 2 transmitters site don't have the same sound card, after some days I had a lag between the 2 transmitters. To solve this, I made every night a Stop/Play of the AIMP player (less than one sec) and so the 2 transmitters stay synchronized.

I you want, I can share the small program who Stop/Play the player every night at a defined time.