All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:02 am 

Hello, I recently purchased ST a few months ago. Since then I have registered it on only the station site PC. I also have ST installed on my home PC and is not registered. I have not tried to register it for fear that it might connect to your site and cause a conflict. Am I able to register it at home for testing purposes? This would be a huge adavntage since the station is located far away in another town.

Thanks! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

If you don't use it constantly on the other pc that's no problem. So, for some testing you can definitely register it. (Of course you can test everything without registering it as well, only the declipper beeps will be very annoying).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:43 pm 

That makes sense.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:50 pm 

Quote:
Hello, I recently purchased ST a few months ago. Since then I have registered it on only the station site PC. I also have ST installed on my home PC and is not registered. I have not tried to register it for fear that it might connect to your site and cause a conflict. Am I able to register it at home for testing purposes? This would be a huge adavntage since the station is located far away in another town.

Thanks! ;)
Hello,
With the following thoughts I am only telling my opinion about this.
I have just read this thread and I am very sorry, but this lets me get really upset!
The possibility to do this shows me, that the licensing procedure is *really* too simple. OK, maybe you, Hans, can see that more than one PC is using the same code, but what is in the case if the procesing PC (or even several PCs) is (are) not connected to the Internet? A case shouldn't be so strange cause of security/update issues and so on?
My opinion is:
ONE License = Usage on ONE PC, NOT more! Without any compromises!
Cause just what you said:
It is possible to test everything in ST WITHOUT any License. So for me, there is absolutely NO(!) reason to use a license for some testing purposes. About the declipper: One minute of continously processing should be enough to hear how it works and estimate some settings with different source materials. And the sound change of the declipper is really not so huge to make it necessary to test/tweak some sound settings with declipper enabled. Just turn it off for testing purposes and all should be fine.

And because of this, here my proposal for an improoved licensing procedure:
Just make a free downloadable software tool that everyone can install on his PC. This tool reveals some hardware information (serial numbers, etc.) about this pc and writes these information in an encrypted text file. (Perhaps it is possible to integrate this tool into ST itself)
If ST should be registered for this pc, the owner has to send this file to you, Hans.
And you than have a second (of course secret) tool wich - feeded with the text file you recieved - makes an encrypted license file that you can (after recieving the money) send back to the owner. The owner feeds this file into ST and now it is registered to only this PC. Trying to feed ST on another PC with the same file has to fail.
If any hardware component is changed, ST should run further for e.g. 30 days with the licensed features. So the user has (for the case of components exchanges) enough time to resend you a new hardware information file and you can create him - in this case of course for free - a new license.
This prodecure offers great flexibility:
-you can better ensure that a single license is used on one pc only
-it is possible to create demo licenses e.g. for declipper with an expiration date
-It is not necessary to connect the PC with ST to the internet

It is only a suggestion/proposal from me, cause I think ST is a really great audio processing suite for such an effordable and more than fair pricing. So, if I were you, i would do all possible things to ensure that the licensing is handled correctly and not circumventable.

Kindest Regards and hopefully you o understand me right,
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:29 pm 

What about people who bought this software only because its licensing better suited their set-up/needs? Actually this was the case for me and the only reason why I bought ST instead of BBP. Prior to buying I even asked about the licensing details and the policy regarding multiple-machine use (I still got this e-mail and the response from Hans directly). You don't change the rules during the game, do you? :)

Last edited by Slawomir B. on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:46 pm 

Quote:
What about people who bought this software only because its licensing better suited their set-up/needs? Actually this was the case for me and the only reason why I bought ST instead of BBP. Prior to buying I even asked about the licensing details and use on multiple machines (I still got this e-mail and the response from Hans directly).
What you said doesn't go contrary to my proposal. So when you make such a "special deal" with hans to use on multiple machines for what reason ever, Hans could create you licenses for both pc however. If he wants to have money for this or not is his decision.

So, what I intended with this proposal is to ensure that Hans has the full control over the licenses and that it is not possible to buy one license and use it on 10 pc`s or so - without Hans knowing about this...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:50 pm 

Does not website say it all?

Last edited by Slawomir B. on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:01 pm 

Quote:
Does not website say it all?
Right, clearly. :-)

The case is that I asume that there are maybe several "black licenses"...
Therefore my idea was to make the licening a bit safer, cause of my big respect to Hans and his awsome product, not more...;-)
Regards,
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:05 pm 

I know, no offfence, Sir :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

One big advantage of the current licensing is that if a pc breaks, you can continue immediately with a new pc without having to wait for me to respond. You don't want to stay off the air until you've been able to reach me. Having said that, an automated process would take care of that... But it cannot have any more checks than this. And if someone doesn't have internet at the broadcast location when swapping a pc that's also a problem.

In general, most people will probably use it on a pc with internet though... Either to receive or send out streams or for other reasons.