All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:49 pm 

Is it possible to run multiple instances of the standalone "live" version of Stereotool under Linux? My attempts so far have failed, the second instance complaining it can't find Jackd. I need to process two different streams simultaneously and would rather not have to use two computers!

Many thanks.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:40 pm 

You never received a reply? I would like to do the same. Have eight channels in / out and it would be shame if only one instance of stereo tool is able to run.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:34 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Sorry for not responding earlier.

The Linux version unfortunately does not support multiple instances with different settings - at this moment. This will probably change later this year. You can use multiple instances of the command line version and use for example arecord and aplay to get the audio in and out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:43 pm 

*bump*

Any news on this? I've come to the point where I need to process two audio streams, but rack space is low. And a decent i5 machine can easily run two stereotools.
It needs to be Linux & Jack since audio is coming from two separate machines via network. zita-njbridge is a great tool, BTW.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 pm 

With the release of ST 8.31 it seems multiple instances are now possible. I did a quick test and could run 2 Stereotools on the same Jack server, identifying themselves as PortAudio and PortAudio-01 (or something like this). Only drawback: they both took their settings from the single .rc file.

I couldn't find any command line arguments - but would it be possible to set the .sts file when starting the ST? I want the GUIs to be visible.

And for automation it would help if the port names were set to a fixed value.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:16 pm 

Please add optional keys to start. For example — the path of the rc file settings. For override default $HOME/.stereo_tool.rc, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:57 pm 

Checked again with 9.01 Jack version. Complains that the client name "stereo_tool" is already in use.

From my own attempts writing Jack clients, setting the name should be quite easy. Like YaakovTooth said, if a different .rc file could be specified, that could hold a custom jack client name, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:57 pm 

I made an attempt to solve this by using docker to run multiple Stereotools on a single hardware. No success so far. I was able to run Stereotool itself in docker and display the GUI on the host desktop. My preferred setup would look like this:

- Running jack on the host using the soundcard and load the netmanager module so act as a network master
- In docker containers, run jack with the net backend as slave and run a stereotool connected to the 2 ins and outs of the jack slave
- Repeat for at least 2 containers.

I'm currently struggling to get jackd running inside docker. After lots of trial and error with rights and privileges and limits, i'm stuck at
Code:
 docker run -it --network host --cap-add=ALL --ulimit rtprio=99 -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix -e DISPLAY=unix$DISPLAY --name stereotool jack
root@henning-ThinkPad-T410:/# jackd -d net
jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2017 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Cannot lock down 82280346 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Bus error (core dumped)
Anyone willing to join the adventure? I feel like I'm really close to finding a solution but running out of ideas.

Of course it would be much easier if the Linux ST had a couple command line params to specify jack name and settings file but this is yet to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:16 pm 

Ok, the story continues. I was able to get it running in a slightly different setup.
Running on the host, I have jackd2 controlling the audio device.
In the docker image I run jackd1 (!), and that loads up fine.

The, using jack_netsource, I connect the master jackd2 to the jackd1 running inside the container.

To have more than one stereotool, I provide different ports to the containered jackd1 and connect to these with jack_netsource and a nice name to identify.

Next I'll put eveything together in a dockerfile and post it along with the corresponding docker run command.

And, if anyone's interested, I might even push a ready to use image to docker-hub.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm 

Ok, here's the first release.

Image on Docker Hub:
https://hub.docker.com/r/hlippke/stereotool-docker/

And sources on GitHub:
https://github.com/hlippke/stereotool-docker

Anyone is welcome to contribute.