All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:49 pm 

I just tried the settings you posted. I don't see any of the problems you are describing here. No changes when changing Pre Amp / Post Amp.
When the RDS is in phase, you shouldn't hear the helicopter sound from the RDS. Maybe a little but definitely not audible in between songs. Did you also have this problems with a different stereo/rds encoder or a different transmitter? What happens if you turn stereo tool off and you play music, is it silent? Have you tried breakaway to see if you have the same problem there? You can also try the winamp version with fm output and play some songs in winamp to see if it also happens there.
If you disconnect the modulation cable from your transmitter the analyzer screen should look about the same as my screenshot. If not try to investigate that first.
If the RF level that the pira receives is too high or too low you can get strange measurements. When you look at the signal and the noise level on you pira, what does it say?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:45 pm 

Does your STL have capability to send L/R instead MPX ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:57 pm 

Ah i thought your STL was L/R but now i see it sends the MPX.
I think you have to search for the problem in the STL then. You can try it without the STL first.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:07 pm 

I'm running the standalone ST. The STL is only MPX capable. I'll try the ST in winamp later, but why should that make such a difference?

The "heli" sound of RDS is barely noticable to the common ear, I'm just pushing my self to hear what's underneath the music or between songs. Maybe it's a detail which can be noticed only by people in the broadcast industry/radio freaks! :lol:

I can hear the RDS sound on an FM receiver, I haven't tried listen directly the soundcard's output.

Btw, I should also inform you for my studio setup. There is a computer running the radio automation software, giving audio to a mixing console, then master out of the console is going in to ST and then the ST output goes to the STL. I've already checked the mixing console for unwanted signals, swaped it with some others but I get the same thing. I've tried different cards at the automation PC, same thing.

About the STL: I don't think that there is a problem in that, since I get correct results when I use the AEV Stargate stereo coder+RDS and I leave ST to do the sound processing job.

Since this is a commercial station, you all understand that tests cannot be done all the time, so I can try things only during at night. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:30 pm 

I mentioned the winamp version because then you can rule out the inputs causing the problems because then all is digital until the MPX. So you can also rule out unwanted signals from everything before it enters the soundcard. When you try it, also physically disconnect the audio cables coming from the mixing console so you only have physical connection between PC and STL.

Do you have a scope?
Try hooking it up before the STL and you should see perfectly limited MPX without overshoots.
Try the same at the transmitter, the MPX should look the same.

Have you tried breakaway, if you have the same problems there i think you can rule out the different programs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 pm 

One thing is sure .. ST MPX output is OK!

So problem can only be

- Soundcard or soundcard settings (i tip on that)
- STL
- Exciter
...in this order

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:22 am 

I've tried the Winamp version, I have a phase issue again. So it's not the MPX.
I've tried a different soundcard on the automation PC and another mixer, same. So it's not something on the external input.
I've tried AEV doing the stereo coding and ST handle the processing, same thing. So it's not the cables.

So I think it all comes down to the soundcard. I haven't touched anything when I've installed the drivers and the Maudio panel. I've only changed the samplerate to 192k.

@eldoradofm : no I don't have a hardware osciloscope. Can I hookup my Maudio's output to another 192k soundcard and run mpxtool?
I didn't try breakaway yet.

@Hans : can we have in FM calibration window, something like in http://www.claessonedwards.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=85
You can add it in ST like "simple" calibration (using a mod monitor) and name the one you already have "advanced", or something like that.

@Bojcha : the STL and exciter are surely OK so maybe it's the card.

Does anyone have a similar or identical card to M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI ? What should I check at the card's settings?

Last edited by lef on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:26 am 

You really need to try Juli@ ot Marian Trace Soundcard.

Or maybe this will help you
http://mpxtool.com/site/hardware-mods/3 ... 2-mod.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:28 am 

Quote:
@eldoradofm : no I don't have a hardware osciloscope. Can I hookup my Maudio's output to another 192k soundcard and run mpxtool?
Yes you can try it. Maybe you see some strange things happening then.
Quote:
I've tried AEV doing the stereo coding and ST handle the processing, same thing. So it's not the cables.
Did you have phase problems this way or no phase problems?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:31 am 

Quote:
you don't need another soundcard to check that! Just put cable from Output to Input and play music from VAC to ST.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next