All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 am 

No sense starting off small. It seems I've come upon an idea and now I'm not sure how best to put it all together: My intent is to create podcast recordings and/or stream an online, call-in talk show that includes musical interludes and commentary on musical selections among other things. The tough part I'm trying to figure out is how to get ole Stereo Tool into the equation at 2 separate points: (1) enhancing the DJ microphone, and (2) enhancing the overall mix for optimum audio quality.
I've had great success in using both the Stereo Tool Winamp plugin for enhancing and recording a weekly Jazz show out of Atlanta that I adore and the Stereo Tool Stand Alone version for enhancing and recording some audio cassettes of some crudely recorded teaching classes that needed to be digitized for archival purposes.

My new project, however is a bit more challenging. First, Here's the gear I have to work with:
I've got 2 computers to work with initially: The first one is Windows XP Pro and has 2 soundcards: An on board Realtek soundcard and a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. The second computer is Windows 2003 server and currently runs MagicJack VOIP phone as well as other operations. I also have 2 separate 8+ channel external analog mixers that I can use as well as professional-esqe microphones.

So far I've successfully brought a good telephone audio signal from the server to a separate mixer channel. I've also sent a "mix-minus" feed without the caller's voice, which is sent back to the caller, using one of the Effects Send channels on the mixer. So I've got a pretty good signal, so far, at the first mixer that includes my microphone, the caller and some background music if needed that comes from one of the soundcards (haven't chosen which to use yet as both seem to work fine). The caller gets a pretty good signal, too of the music and my voice as well. Here's the tricky part: How to I take the output of the mixer and mix it back into the XP computer that has 2 soundcards and process the entire signal through Stereo Tool?
If that's simple enough, I'd like to take it one step beyond that: I'd like to have a separate Stereo Tool processing the DJ Microphone signal adding a little extra compression and EQ. I want to have a lighter compression and eq and have an overall sound enhancing for the entire mix. Remembering that I have 2 mixers, I've currently setup the Microphone on a separate mixer than the caller and the background music. So here's the path:
DJ Microphone --> Mixer 1 {can I mix a Stereo Tool Effect loop in here via soundcard?} -- > Mixer 2
Caller Server Computer --> Mixer 2
Background music (via Non specified soundcard on XP Pro) --> Mixer 2
Now, I'd like to do the recording, streaming and processing, if possible on the XP Pro workstation as it has the most processing power. I also monitor the whole setup via a Technics Stereo receiver via it's tape in and out circuits.

Summary of Equipment:
XP Pro workstation w/ 2 soundcards and lots of processing power
2003 Server w/ 1 soundcard and MagicJack VOIP service
8 channel mixer with 2 effects send/return loops
12 channel mixer with monitor loop and effects send loop and XLR inputs
Technics AV stereo receiver w/ 2 tape ins/outs, 1 cd in, w/ dubbing from tape 1 to 2.

So, if anyone is up for a challenge (although I might be making things more complicated than needs to be) I sure could use some guidance. All comments, suggestions, criticisms and the like are humbly and greatly appreciated.

Michael