All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Is this possible?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:01 pm 

Hi guys.

I'm in the process of setting up a new internet radio station with a friend, and I was wondering if it is at all possible for stereo tool to be used in this scenario.

Basically, we would like all output audio on the station to sound the same, no matter which presenter is connected. We don't want them to have to install and configure stereo tool, so we would like to have this server side.

We have a Linux dedicated server, and I have an idea to run stereo tool like this:

1. Have the DJ's connect to a shoutcast server on port 8000
2. Have Stereotool somehow connected to that stream
3. Take the output of Stereotool into a separate shoutcast server on port 8002 - which will be it's final destination

I know natively, stereotool could probably not do this on it's own. But i also know there are some command line transcoders out there for linux, and was just looking for advice on how to acheive this.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Post subject: Re: Is this possible?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:17 am 
Site Admin

It should definitely be possible, but I don't know enough Linux programs to be of any help. I can tell you this: Stereo Tool in Linux reads and writes data in .WAV file or 16 bit around 44.1 kHz PCM data format.

I would search in the following direction:
1. Command line tool that reads the incoming stream, and pipes it to:
2. Command line tool that extracts the MP3 data to WAV format, for example lame with option --decode.
3. Stereo Tool.
4. Program that encodes WAV to MP3 data, for example lame.
5. Program that streams this, which can handle a pipe as input.

Step 1+2 could be replaced by: 'arecord', linked using 'jack' to a program that receives and plays an incoming stream

Similarly, step 5 could be replaced by: 'aplayer', linked using 'jack' to a program that streams audio data.

So something like this.