All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
madonna - jump .. that's tracks from folder called "processing test"
The one before that! (Fireworks or something like that)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:52 pm 

i play Fireworks again .. to be sure :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Ok - but the other one was much worse.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:49 am 

double checked ..
Too many tracks are master distorted!
for example: http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/59174208/file.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
double checked ..
Too many tracks are master distorted!
for example: http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/59174208/file.html
Holy crap, is THAT the original?! It sounds maybe even worse than what I heard yesterday!

Do you have any idea where this distortion comes from? CD, ripping, MP3 encoding, ???

I just opened this file in a wave editor (CoolEdit), and I do see a bit of clipping, but looking at when it reaches the top I would not expect this much distortion at all - each clipped area is just about 10 (or less) samples long, and in ST in the new filters I assume that you can't hear it if it's less than about 100 samples long. So apparently what I see is not the cause of the distortion - and the distorted spikes that are there are not what we're hearing.

By the way, if you think that THIS track is bad, try 'American Boy' by Estelle. It sounds horrible every time I hear it on the radio, and the original is apparently just as bad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

By the way, I'm asking because of the following: Over 10 years ago I once tried to create my own audio compression format (like MP3). At the time I didn't use any overlap between consecutive blocks of audio, instead based on each block I "predicted" what would come afterwards, and for the next block what would have come before it, and gradually moved from one to the other. That actually sounded good - meaning that my audio prediction algorithm was apparently very accurate.

It might be interesting to use that same algorithm to remove distortion (I could predict was has been removed, and restore that). BUT I need to know which sound is distorted and which sound isn't. Now if there's clear clipping visible, that's easy. But in this case I don't have a clue where to start. (It might be an idea to look for highs that go up and down in volume at the same rate as the loudest bass sound...)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

I've looked at the waveform, and it seems that I can indeed 'see' something in the high frequencies. Maybe my (pretty difficult and very CPU intensive) old filter would not even be needed anymore - I could do something very similar to what I do in Loudness to remove clipping distortion from the input. :shock: But I'm not sure if that will work - it might also completely damage all the sound, even when there was no clipping distortion available in the first place (if my detection goes wrong).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:42 pm 

hmm...
I downloaded this song from many sources, same all.
Something is really strange with this track, it's not so Loud as how others can be loud.. there is not even visible distortion at scope, so really strange example. Maybe track WAS loud and someone from production tryed to fix things.
But, true, when it goes trought ST it has a bit less that distortion, found same for some other tracks. Maybe because non-phase linear bandpass in preset. I did not wanted to use it but seems that i have. I turn that ON and much less voice and other type of distortions.
I am still fine tuning this preset, it's at v15 already. I'll post it when ST 6.01 is ready.