All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:32 pm 

Quote:
For 128k AAC+, enough is -1dB
Ok I set ST post amp to -1.00db. Is this correct?

Thanks.

-n4-

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I figured out why I had -4db, and it was because I was using the live recording option in edcast plugin and had it selected on WAVE. I then had the WAVE volume turned down a little too much. So now that it is at 0db and x2.00 loudness. Should I still try and shoot for a -2 or so DB to avoid any clipping? If so should I do this with the winamp gain, or stereo tool preamp.
Hm....

1. If you're using 'WAVE', I think (depending on your soundcard drivers) chances are that the Stereo Output is converted to analog, and then back to digital (with a chance of adding noise, changing the waveform shape etc.). If possible, try to use the Stereo Tool output directly (which should be easy assuming that you're using the EdCast Winamp plugin).

2. MP3 encoding causes changes in the waveform, which causes peak levels to change. The best way to check if you're not causing distortion is:
a. Open a 2nd Winamp instance (in Winamp, go to General Preferences, then enable "Allow multiple instances".)
b. In this 2nd Winamp instance, tune into your stream.
c. Load Stereo Tool in the 2nd instance, and check the volume of the INPUT. (Don't change the settings or you'll loose the settings in the 1st instance). If the INPUT signal clips a lot (fully filled, and turns red), then you should lower the Post Amp of the 1st instance. If not, you might increase it. Note that occasional clipping (usually a single spike that is cut off) is not that problematic - but if you set Post Amp very close to 1.00 (0 dB) you'll see that it's constantly clipping - and that's really bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:23 am 

hmm .. good and simple way to measure stream :)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:10 pm 

Quote:
Hm....

1. If you're using 'WAVE', I think (depending on your soundcard drivers) chances are that the Stereo Output is converted to analog, and then back to digital (with a chance of adding noise, changing the waveform shape etc.). If possible, try to use the Stereo Tool output directly (which should be easy assuming that you're using the EdCast Winamp plugin).

2. MP3 encoding causes changes in the waveform, which causes peak levels to change. The best way to check if you're not causing distortion is:
a. Open a 2nd Winamp instance (in Winamp, go to General Preferences, then enable "Allow multiple instances".)
b. In this 2nd Winamp instance, tune into your stream.
c. Load Stereo Tool in the 2nd instance, and check the volume of the INPUT. (Don't change the settings or you'll loose the settings in the 1st instance). If the INPUT signal clips a lot (fully filled, and turns red), then you should lower the Post Amp of the 1st instance. If not, you might increase it. Note that occasional clipping (usually a single spike that is cut off) is not that problematic - but if you set Post Amp very close to 1.00 (0 dB) you'll see that it's constantly clipping - and that's really bad.
@Hans: Can this be done from another PC instead of the multiple instance thing? The reason I ask is the PC I have my stream on is only a P4 3.0Ghz single core. So when I run the multiple instance and connect to my stream which then starts ST, my system then comes to a crawl and everything starts to chop. So could I just install stereo tool on another PC here and connect to get a reading that way? Also I am no longer on WAVE. I'm now direct ST output to edcast.

@Bojcha: I'm showing clipping on the input for some songs. You told me before to do -1 GAIN in winamp EQ witch did get rid of this, but Hans is saying the EQ enabled can cause unwanted effects. Is there another way to achieve this, or -1 GAIN on the EQ safe enough not to cause any unwanted effects?

Thanks.

-n4-

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Sure, another PC is even easier (I only have one so I didn't think about that).

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:16 pm 

So to attenuate winamp's output without EQ On,

i found only this way
http://www.claessonedwards.com/dsp_plug ... uators.zip

edit:
i guess something like this is needed too http://welcome4.mlplugin.try.hu/
i'll try it myself

edit2: Very nice this Multi DSP plugin.. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
So to attenuate winamp's output without EQ On,

i found only this way
http://www.claessonedwards.com/dsp_plug ... uators.zip

edit:
i guess something like this is needed too http://welcome4.mlplugin.try.hu/
i'll try it myself

edit2: Very nice this Multi DSP plugin.. :)
Uhm, Bojcha, I don't see how this would help.

Yes, you're reducing the input that goes into Stereo Tool, so Stereo Tool will no longer DETECT that clipping occurs.
But this dsp_attenuator plugin will still receive a clipped sound, so in the end the sound is exactly identical.

The whole problem is that the INPUT plugin in Winamp is clipping the sound. ANY DSP plugin will receive a clipped/distorted sound. So the only way around that would be to get a replacement of the input plugin, OR - if possible - a slider or setting within the input plugin that reduces the output level a bit.

Of, make sure you don't rip the tracks too loud.

Note: The fact that the input bars turn red means that an input value of -32768 or +32767 is reached. NOT that overshoots are occurring. So at least theoretically, it's even possible that there's no clipping at all. (That would be the case if you see it happen with lossless audio ripped directly from a CD.) On the other hand, if it happens with MP3 input you can be certain that there's clipping and distortion in the input - but that can only be solved by the input plugin.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 pm 

Yes i know...
This is only to avoid "red bars" input/output .. using winamp/edcast dsp/st dsp/multidsp plugin.

So all input plugins should be replaced mp3, vorbis, flac, which is not possible...

I don't use winamp, dsp-s, and ST dsp .. so this image is only showing best possible way to stream using winamp/edcast dsp/st dsp/multidsp plugin (without "red bars" shown).

And yes, like i do when i rip tracks from CDs, always are normalized to maximum 89% of audio, before they are compressed.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:11 pm 

So in other words. Leave it be? It only does it on some songs, and it only does it once in a while on those songs. So if your saying in winamp no matter what I do it'll still receive the clipped sound, then I'll just leave it be. Thanks again for all your help. Really learned a lot!

-n4-

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
So in other words. Leave it be?
Yes. And if it only happens occasionally, it's probably not even noticeable.