All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: AoIP / MPX / AES?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:49 am 

Would someone like to walk this novice through a basic AoIP studio setup, eventually connecting digitally to a transmitter?
(I have no AoIP experience, but thinking through adding, say, a SIMPLE-IP to our analog console.)

I assume it goes something like

AoIP audio -> ST -> Marian Trace Alpha -> digital in to transmitter

Is ST, for example, DANTE compatibie? The MTA card?

Post subject: Re: AoIP / MPX / AES?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:14 pm 

Ok, I'll see if I can bring something to your question, by firstly asking some questions?! :?

1. What transmitter would you be using? Does it have the capacity to input true digital audio? As an example, some use ST for delivery of MPX over AES at 192 kHz.

2. Are you aware that the Trace Alpha actually has SPDIF I/O? Also, I believe it does not have any hardware SRC which is something to consider depending on how you would feed it audio? (Would your AoIP source be at 44.1 kHz?)

3. What are the physical locations of the devices? Would there be an STL involved between your source and ST?

Apologies if these are things you've already thought about. I'm not sure how savvy you are with digital audio - maybe you can give a bit more detail so that we can get a clearer idea of how to try and help?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:15 pm 

Thanks, no apology necessary. I'm a complete novice at AoIP and digital audio.

1. BW TX300v2. That may not matter so much - it looks like the end connection will still be as it is now - ST is generating the MPX so it's a BNC connection either way?
2. Yes, so I suppose it depends on how I route the audio to the MTA. What's an SRC?
My possible AoIP "source" would be the Simple-IP from Arrakis (DANTE protocol). I believe it sends at 44.1.
3. Right now, there is no STL - studio and transmitter are colocated, but this may change in the future...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:28 am 

I guess my thoughts would be:

1. Keeping the composite (MPX) input from ST would make sense in my mind - the advantages in terms of having ST do the generation, composite clipping etc. could be retained. (I don't think the BW TX300v2 has the capacity to take MPX over AES or similar so using the good old baseband input is likely a sensible keeper!)

2. Indeed - would you be able to get audio into ST via an interface other than the MTA? (e.g. Through a software driver?)

SRC = Sample Rate Converter. (I imagine that if your MTA interface were outputting 192 kHz (MPX) audio from ST (via ASIO), synchronised using its internal clock source, feeding the MTA 44.1 kHz digital audio might require (hardware based) conversion in order for you to get to the common clock speed...)

3. Of course, this is an important factor to consider. You wouldn't want to unnecessarily add extra AD / DA stages to the chain, so planning for a purely digital path might make sense when considering your future STL options.

I don't know much about the Arrakis Simple-IP but without even going into the issue of Dante compatibility, given your current setup, what would the advantage be between converting to digital using the Arrakis box versus doing this at the MTA via the analog inputs and A/Ds?

Not sure if you see what I'm getting at here - maybe others can comment on whether I'm talking garbage or not?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:05 am 

Thanks. So my theoretical airchain looks like

analog console -> Simple-IP (A-D) -> ST -> MTA -> TX300

So you're right, I'm not sure there is an advantage right now if ST cannot easily pickup the audio from Simple-IP.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:09 am 

Quote:
I assume it goes something like

AoIP audio -> ST -> Marian Trace Alpha -> digital in to transmitter

Is ST, for example, DANTE compatibie? The MTA card?
No - ST is not DANTE compatible (wish it was though -- Hanz??) but it is extremely easy to introduce AoIP into the mix by using Audinate VIA (virtual soundcard and router).

My present configuration -:

AoIP network -> VIA -> Stereo Tool # -> LLQ VIA -> AoIP network
# -> MPX AP192 -> TX

VIA is a great way for one to get their foot into AoIP to learn. Audinate have both Virtual Sound Card and VIA options for Windows/MAC.

The other nice thing about VIA is that you can distribute the IN/OUT anywhere and it will provide a backup "Master Clock" to the network (which is typically your on air console or other) meaning you can take it offline for maintenance without bringing your entire AoIP network down. :-)
AoIP is 48k/16bit (or 24bit for some devices) so it is no good for MPX. Typical stereo signal (2x AoIP channels) will add ~ 2Mb of Multicast traffic to your network (along with clocking/signalling overhead). On a Gig network this is not much.

Rossco
(An AoIP newbie but loving the flexibility of it and how it allowed the removal of 6 distribution amps and 2.5kms of audio cables)