All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:41 pm 

Hi,
what is the recommendet setup for the following scenario?
shoutcast mp3-stream (sample rate=44.1kHz) -> stereo tool -> juli@ soundcard -> fm modulator input (MPX)

- Should i use vlc or winamp for the stream input?
- In case of vlc, should i set vlc to interpolate the output by 4 to a sample rate of 176.4kHz or does ST do some resampling?
- How can i get song title updates out of the stream into the ST RDS encoder?

Thank you,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:56 am 

you can put your stream directly in stereotool, by input you take vlc in place of line in

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:46 pm 

This is *exactly* what we do to feed the remote antenna @ Felixstowe Radio, we used to have:

main desk (analog out) -> longish cable -> TX-PC [Juli@ line-in -> Stereotool -> Juli@ line-out] -> BW TX50 MPX in.

Then we split the studio and transmitter sites and built another studio, so the signal path in the studio end is:

studio 1: main desk (analog) -> Studio1-PC [Juli@ line-in -> darkice MP3 encode -> local Icecast]
studio 2: main desk (analog) -> Studio2-PC [Juli@ line-in -> darkice MP3 encode -> local Icecast]

This allows anyone in the studio network (including private WiFi) to listen in on any studio Icecast feed point, we can chain from one studio through another (using VLC on the studio PC), we can stand up a temporary studio elsewhere in the network (e.g. for live bands in the cafe) with just a laptop and network connection (have even used the WiFi!).

The aerial site is connected back into the studio network over a VPN* so it can pick up any studio by using the appropriate URL in stereo-tool.ini. The signal path at the remote site (as you suggest):

TX-PC [Studio<N> Icecast URL <- VLC (managed by ST) -> Stereotool -> Juli@ lin-out] -> BW TX 50 MPX in.

I've also built a little python web application that runs on the remote TX-PC and edits a file monitored by Stereotool's parameter scheduling so anyone in the studio network can see which studio is on air and switch them around (usually taking over in their studio).

Phil.
* We connect from the remote aerial site to the studio network using OpenVPN and Untangle over the Internet - surprisingly reliable!
NB: I've simplified the TX-PC a bit, as we also have a dead air monitor (http://pira.cz/show.asp?art=silence) and our Internet stream feed (http://m3w.sourceforge.net/) attached to Stereotool.