All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:24 am 

Hi,

I'm trying to implement the RDS feature of Stereo tool into our station's broadcast.
Here's how i'm setup. I'm not getting RDS so i'm wondering if there's something wrong here.

PC: Captiveworks 3000HD with upgraded processor.
Soundcards: Onboard sound card. Using this card to output RDS signal to audio processor SCA input.
Audioscience 6620: Using output channel 1 for audio output to audio processor.
Audio Processor: Omnia One FM

I've got PC outputs as follows.
Onboard sound --> left channel MPX, RDS only to SCA Input on Omnia
Audioscience --> Left/Right analog channels to Omnia
Omnia One FM --> Full processing of audio, stereo, 75hz etc... ----> FM Transmitter
FM Transmitter ---> World.

Here's what I'm not getting. RDS
I am getting something though from stereo tool. When I jack up the stereo pilot on stereo tool I am able to put out the stereo indicator on the receiver.

What am I missing here? Should I take output 2 left channel of the Audioscience, run it in 192khz and use it for my RDS instead of the onboard soundcard?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:17 am 

kyanox, the Audioscience card will only sample at a maximum rate of 96kHz and you'd need it to be 192kHz.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:38 am 

I noticed that. I also noticed my Soundmax HD Audio card wasn't set for 192k. I'm testing now. Has anyone had any luck with this card however?

Maybe I just need a different sound card. Does anyone know a decently working but lower cost solution.

I know this may sound silly but do I need to feed the 19k from the Omnia to the input for the SoundMax? Or if your just using RDS does it even need that from the omnia processor?
I don't want to replace the omnia processor, rather I just want to use ST for a RDS device. Maybe in the future I may decide to just replace the processor IF it can't do the job with the current setup.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:00 pm 

Quote:
I noticed that. I also noticed my Soundmax HD Audio card wasn't set for 192k. I'm testing now. Has anyone had any luck with this card however?
Maybe I just need a different sound card. Does anyone know a decently working but lower cost solution.
You need latest driver for Soundmax adjusted to 192kHz in it's control panel and also in Window7>Sounds> Settings (both playback/recording)
Better cheap solution is Realtek 192kHz on board. But you'll need other motherboard.
Quote:
I know this may sound silly but do I need to feed the 19k from the Omnia to the input for the SoundMax? Or if your just using RDS does it even need that from the omnia processor?
No you don't. You need to turn ON RDS only in ST and send that signal to Omnia. Like you do with hardware RDS unit.
Quote:
don't want to replace the omnia processor, rather I just want to use ST for a RDS device. Maybe in the future I may decide to just replace the processor IF it can't do the job with the current setup.
Your choice. I can tell you that i recently replaced Omnia.6 with ST at one station, and they are now very happy - Mostly because 2 reasons. Way better sound (but really depends on preset) and they sold their Omnia, bought ST and still money in pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:22 pm 

Where do I get the latest driver? The motherboard manufacturer Asus only had version 5.10 for XP and I don't have any options to set the sample rate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:52 pm 

Quote:
Where do I get the latest driver? The motherboard manufacturer Asus only had version 5.10 for XP and I don't have any options to set the sample rate.
You need Vista or Win7. (Win7 might be better)
Extract, Install via "Device Manager" - Not with Setup(exe). You will have 192kHz always in XP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:07 pm 

Ok did that with the Vista driver. Input is set to sound card input and output is connected to sca on the omnia.
Still not getting RDS and I've played with the volume of the RDS as well as level input on the omnia. When I bypass the omnia I can't get a stereo signal so something still is off.

I'll keep trying. And report back. I do like ST now if I can just get my hardware to cooperate.

Driver version 6.10.1.6100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:04 pm 

Hmmmm. No luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have some analysis equipment? For starters, if you can measure the deviation of the FM signal, try playing a tone (via FM Sound card -> Tilt) and check if the deviation is there and stays roughly constant if you increase the frequency to 60 kHz.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 pm 

Hi, I wanted to let you guys know I've not given up on this but our test gear was stolen so I'm back at stage one.
Is there any kind of inexpensive test set I can build, budgets are tight.

I was able to get RDS working with an external RDS generator. But it doesn't work with the onboard soundcard that I'm using. Not sure why. I've got the latest driver.

I'd like to use ST for RDS if we can make Radiotext+ work, as my RDS generator is based on this: MRDS1322 Microcontroller.

Also we're going to be deploying ST to our AM now that it has neat AM audio processing. Can it be deployed to the AM with MPX in AM stereo, and will that be able to be received by a standard AM receiver?

Also can someone suggust an inexpensive hardware setup for full RDS / SCA etc... on the FM. And can the SCA channels be fed HD audio from a generator to broadcast as a hybrid station?