All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:50 pm 

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post, so I don't know what all the code of conduct is here. So I am just putting my problem here and hoping somebody will correct me if anything goes wrong.
I have a perfect stereo encoder. Perfect in a sense, it gives around 70dB stereo separation once demultiplexed through MPX tool in a file mode. But once I am playing my composite signal through M-audio card(configured at192khz) and recording it back through same M-auido card (loop back in analog path), then that recorded file is not giving good separation. Then stereo separation is coming around 44dB.

Can anybody suggest me whats wrong with M-audio card? What kind of card should I use for achieving 55dB of attenuation. I heard somewhere there are following factors that could limit the stereo separation:
1. Uneven attenuation at frequencies after 24 KHz in this cards frequency response.
2. Poor Low frequency tilt is another issue

How to overcome such problems?

Thanks for reading

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

If you measure like this, chances are that the card will have more problems recording the signal back than to play it, since recording quality is usually more of a problem than playback. If that's indeed the case, then the actual separation would be more (but I don't know how much, and I'm assuming that the sound card input does not 'correct' things in the output!) than 44 dB.