All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
but what about asymmetrical clipping/limiting for FM? -> Extra switch in Expert mode
No asymmetrical modulation for FM. That would result in over modulation or the need to reduce the modulation to the highest peak resulting in loudness loss.
I want to have it available for testing - for example 1 station that runs ST has 1 transmitter on 106.7 and another one at 106.8 and they are disturbing each other. It would be worth a try to reduce that by using asymmetry.

btw - they also have in another area 2 transmitters at exactly the same frequency. If anyone has an advice on how to improve the reception in the middle (there's a highway right between the 2, and the reception is bad for about 10 minutes there. What I was told is that they want to PRECISELY (1 ns) synchronize the audio, stereo pilot, RDS and transmitter modulation signal - apparently there's a GPS based solution for this but it's very expensive.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Btw the new AM stuff is implemented in BETA743-002, see the News section :)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:57 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
but what about asymmetrical clipping/limiting for FM? -> Extra switch in Expert mode
No asymmetrical modulation for FM. That would result in over modulation or the need to reduce the modulation to the highest peak resulting in loudness loss.
I want to have it available for testing - for example 1 station that runs ST has 1 transmitter on 106.7 and another one at 106.8 and they are disturbing each other. It would be worth a try to reduce that by using asymmetry.

btw - they also have in another area 2 transmitters at exactly the same frequency. If anyone has an advice on how to improve the reception in the middle (there's a highway right between the 2, and the reception is bad for about 10 minutes there. What I was told is that they want to PRECISELY (1 ns) synchronize the audio, stereo pilot, RDS and transmitter modulation signal - apparently there's a GPS based solution for this but it's very expensive.
That may be an issue in Europe but in the US, our stations are 0.2mhz apart so with a good tuner, you can be sitting under a transmitter on 100.3 and hear 100.1 and 100.5 with little or no interference. Even in cases like that, there's a large geographical separation on the adjacent channels. Interesting idea just the same. What would really be useful in that situation would be the ability to transmit totally asymmetrical modulation....100% + and 0% -. I have no idea what that would sound like but it could offer relief in cases like you describe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:04 am 

I am one of those using Stereo Tool for AM stereo and with what is available in version 7.5 it seems to be the best solution I have tried thus far. Another one I tried has a problem with cross channel contamination with single channel wide stereo material but I don't notice it here. Even modified one AM preset for AM stereo but it just does not sound right at least to me. The transmitter is a kit built one which is referred to by those who know about it as the Cuff transmitter after its designer.