All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Calibrate Equipments?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:04 am 

Hi;
i want to calibrate my system for FM Transmitter.
which equipments will be used for calibrate?

i will buy Esi Juli@ sound card (and i will use mpx out)
for modulation monitoring, is osiloscope enough? (i dont have pira analyzer)
My transmitter is RVR and i have rvr exciter (http://www.rvr.it/en/fm-exciters-ptx-lcd.php) Is exciter a signal monitor? can i use exciter for calibrate

the other question;
how must be cable position for calibrate?
esi juli@ => transmitter => signal monitor
or
esi juli@ => signal monitor

sorry for my English..
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:03 am 

Hello qsqs,

We are using RVR equipment at TEN FM and with Stereo Tool and a Juli@ card. The card is set for balanced mode input from the studio patch feed, and on the output, we only connect the centre hot pin from the Left channel and feed via coax to the MPX input on the RVR STL (same deal with Exciter if you have that). I did earth both ends (ya I know) and had no problems as all equipment is in the same rack and feed from the same UPS feed. Be aware of doing this thou if feeding the Juli@ with unbalanced.

Now you must ensure that ALL pre-emphasis is turned off on the RVR gear. Its normally shipped on.

Another issue that I found was that the older RVR equipment with descrete components was much flatter in frequency response than the latest surface mount gear. Seems to only effect the 40Hz side. You can easily compensate with the tx alignment function.

Line up is easy and you should not need any deviation monitoring equipment, assuming your equipment was correctly previously lined up . If a RVR exciter/STL, simply mark the peak deviation bar with a marking pen on the tx, this will be your reference for aligning the levels out of Stereo Tool.

Good luck and let me know how you go!