All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: RDS
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:33 am 

Hi, sorry for bad english, not native.

I have a DB elettronica PM300 , wich is great!

What i don't understand is if i can broadcast some RDS signal with it? what are the SCA for?
Do i have to broadcast in mono to have RDS? as i read about it in your help section?

Thanks much anyway for the VERY good software that i'm gonna buy VERY soon, when my setup will be optimal!

Edit : Here is what i found in the user's manual :

"The new modulator board SINTEL ’96 allows a high quality direct carrier modulation accepting a
composite stereo (MPX) or a mono input signal with up to 3 SCA subcarriers (for example RDS,
ARI, ...).
The mono input signal is filtered by a 7th order elliptic filter with a very flat response (20Hz to
15kHz with 0.25 dB) and an optimum out of band attenuation (>50 dB for frequencies higher
than 19 kHz), then the signal is amplified (or attenuated) and passed to the VCO oscillator for the
FM carrier modulation. The VCO is controlled by a digital PLL circuit with a high stability quartz
reference to obtain a very stable synthetized oscillation: the frequency setting is customizeable using
on board dip-switches (the minimum step size is 10 kHz).
The composite stereo signal and the SCA subcarriers are just amplified or attenuated by the correct
modulation depth adjustment before going through the VCO stage: the stereo performances of
SINTEL ’96 are excellent, (stereo separation >60 dB from 20Hz to 15 kHz, SNR > 80 dB).
Before the VCO stage, an adjustable and bypassable deviation limiter prevents the FM carrier from
an excessive modulation depth and adjacent channel interference according to all the international
standards (CCIR, FCC). Furthermore, an automatic locking circuit enables the output modulated
signal of SINTEL ’96 only when the internal PLL is locked properly, in order to avoid unwanted
emissions.

Jean

Post subject: Re: RDS
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Send MPX if you can. That will give you a much better sound, and stereo and RDS.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:52 pm 

Hi, can stereotool generate MPX? what's the setup? do i need some special hardware?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

You need a good quality 192 kHz sound card. With that, if you also enable the Composite Clipper it can generate and MPX signal that's superior to anything else out there.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:31 pm 

Thanks for your replies.

I can connect directly the output of the soundcard on the MPX input?
Do you have a soundcard to propose that works fine not too expensive?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Cheapest: Behringer UMC202HD (USB), still very good.
Best: Marian Trace Alpha (PCI!!!), Marian Trace Seraph AD2, AudioScience ASI5810 or 5811.

In many cases you can even use your on-board audio if it supports 192 kHz, but results vary depending on your motherboard. I'm actually almost always testing with the headphone output of my laptop connected to my transmitter!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 am 

What's the cheapest non-usb soundcard that would work?

I can't even find prices on the 5810 and 5811.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:15 am 

ESI Juli@ is worth looking at, though you will have to calibrate it to mitigate tilt.