All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:31 pm 

Quote:
You cannot use 2 ASIO programs at the same time unless you use this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12973

For the ASIO buffer setting, I would normally advise to use the lowest setting possible, usually something like 48 or 64 samples. If you go higher you get more delay.

The buffer filling reset at 100% is really low, it should ideally always be at around 100%. And pressing that RESET button should be identical to what happens when the buffer filling exceeds 100% in your settings. So I have no idea why you would get that error message.

Thanks, didn't know that you can't run 2 ASIO programs.
The strange error should be related to that then.
About the driver - I'll check it out, but I don't use ASIO programs very often. I think I rather just change ST to non-ASIO mode when using one.
The ASIO program was just an unlucky pick while stress-testing the new restart level setting...

64 samples as driver setting is to small, the sound distorts.
When recording audio with my sound card, 256 samples already produces almost 0 latency.
It's good enough for recording a guitar, what is very hard if there is any noticable latency.
I'll leave it at 512, since reducing it to 256 only gets me only 0.02 seconds. That's not noticable.
The overall latency is 0.12 seconds. (feels like less actually) Good enough for watching movies.

However, decrasing the restart level to 100% is the only thing that did actually help. The PC is running since about 10 hours now, and I still got no latency increase.
That's the longest timespan without the issue I've had so far.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:19 pm 

Is it possible that the latency increases while the "restart countdown" is running? (when the bar in the buffer display slowly goes down to indicate an upcoming restart)

The last 2 days it has run fairly stable. Only once it has increased to about 0.3 seconds. When opening ST I just saw that "countdown" going down and have increased the buffer slightly. Other than that I've had a stable 0.1 sec latency all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:53 pm 

Just a question:
Can I use multiple instances of ST somehow, that all have its own settings?
Because you've mentioned multiple instances of ST in your post about the ASIO multiclient driver.
I actually don't want to run multiple instances, I just wan't to be able to start different presets via shortcuts.
(to start in either in ASIO or in non-ASIO mode for example, or with a higher/lower latency setting)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, if you rename the .exe. The settings are stored based on the name of the .exe, so you can copy StereoTool.exe to StereoTool2.exe for example and use that for different settings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:22 pm 

Quote:
Yes, if you rename the .exe. The settings are stored based on the name of the .exe, so you can copy StereoTool.exe to StereoTool2.exe for example and use that for different settings.
Great, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:05 am 

Made some progress in understanding the cause of the latency issue.
First, my sound card *does* supports running multiple ASIO programs. My DAW runs perfectly fine toghether with ST in ASIO mode. It's just the starting process of the other ASIO program that kills it.
When starting the DAW, ST is completely overloaded. If there's music running, you only hear crackling and distrotion.
When the DAW has started up, ST normalizes eventually, but now has an extreme, additional latency and the "sound card restart countdown" is going on extremely slow. Best thing to do is to restart ST manually once or twice. The first restart doesn't always help. Sometimes it's still busy and starts directly with crackling sound, latency and buffer countdown. Then another restart helps.
You know that it has started correctly if it starts without any crackling sound.
Then everything is working fine, and the buffer/latency are back to normal.
I've automated this whole thing. (when DAW is started = quit ST -> wait 5 sec. -> start ST -> wait 5 sec. -> quit ST -> wait 5 sec. -> start ST)

Last edited by toniostarcevic on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:57 am 

Have decided to stick with ASIO mode because of the lower latency, by the way.
Didn't find out for sure what was increasing the latency in non-ASIO mode however.
I only know that the issue almost vanished after going down with the restart value. Meanwhile I've increased it to 170% and it's still running well. Maybe it was some other small change, that I did around the same time...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:38 pm 

Hi....i am a new user here. As per my observation the audio was received by Stereo Tool and played to the sound card. But, you do need to make sure that all other programs send their audio to VAC instead of to the normal sound card.
The error when you removed VAC also makes sense: the sound card that you selected earlier suddenly didn't exist anymore.
If you want to run everything through VAC or VB Cable, set it as the default sound card. Then in Stereo Tool select the virtual cable as input, and the actual sound card as output.

printed circuits assembly