All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Realtek ALC Support
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:19 pm 

Hello
The idea of ​​this topic is to publish audio cards Realtek compatible with StereoTool that have been tested or used.
At the moment (Update 27-11-2022)

Work with Realtek - Aported by
ALC 892 - Slawomir B.
ALC 887 - Slawomir B.
ALC 889 - Slawomir B.
ALC 898 - octavafm
ALC 4042 - Pethunia (USB External Audio Card)

Doesn't work with Realtek - Aported by
ALC 662 - Slawomir B. (Marketed "HD Audio but only support 96kHz sample rate)
ALC 662 - Frankis

Thanks!

Last edited by octavafm on Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Realtek ALC Support
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:26 am 

If you mean what Realtek soundcards are capable for 192kHz sample rate, it's easy. Those one that are marked as "HD audio"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:37 pm 

I revive this one, as this is actually quite an interesting topic!

These work for sure:

ALC892, ALC887, ALC889 (various motherboards).

I also use one integrated in my laptop's motherboard, which is 2-channel HDA, but I'm not sure about the precise number right now (ALC269 for 99,5%). I didn't manage to force stereo encoding on Realtek drivers, works like a charm on Windows drivers though. The laptop is Acer V3-571g.

Also there is a site that covers popular onboard codecs and their sample rate capability:

Realtek: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... able/520/2
VIA: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... able/520/4

Probably all with 192kHz at output will work.

Additionally, those with 192kHz input probably will be capable of realtime MPX monitoring as well (MPX Tool). For this, I use ALC892 with success.
Quote:
If you mean what Realtek soundcards are capable for 192kHz sample rate, it's easy. Those one that are marked as "HD audio"
this is untrue, ALC662 is marketed HD Audio, yet it supports only 96k/96k. http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod ... ProdID=144

Please add any you have used yourself, so that we can confirm it working or not ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:34 am 

Interesting. ALC 898 works fine too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 pm 

I've noticed some strange behaviour of ALC drivers (regardless the version - Realtek or default WDDM) in Windows 7.

Sample rate seems to be a little tricky to set properly. What is more interesting is that you may manipulate sample rate directly in Stereo Tool with minor impact on the sound (!). So virtually you can set 32 kHz SR in Stereo Tool and still get stereo and RDS generator working (!) as long a you have set 192 kHz in your speaker output (in Windows settings of soundcard) or audio interface such as VAC, VB.

This resampling mismatch comes with a penalty on audio quality if certain configuration of samplerates occur. For example I get awful ringing/metallic artifacts when set in the 192 kHz mode in output and 48 kHz in ST. The artifacts (but less audible) also occur when set 192 - 192 (!) which should have never had happened.

Bear that in mind and check for yourself.

I have one track in particular that is very good for this kind of tests.
It is "Shpongle - Once upon a sea of blissfull awareness".
If a problem concerns you, the artifacts I mentioned occur during the intro with low-frequency rich synths.

This is the comparison:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1oKe7 ... sp=sharing (the one with artifacts)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1oKe7 ... sp=sharing (the clean one)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1oKe7 ... sp=sharing (the track itself)

In one of the other threads Bojcha confirmed that such resampling mismatch occur in Windows 7. He states that the problem doesn't concern Windows XP. So if you are a WinXP user, probably you will not experience such issues at all.

Regards,
Slawomir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm 

lol.. i even give it name "robotic7" problem. that's it.

5 days i was tuning one radio in Portugal to make it work with w7 and 2 StereoTools. And i didn't make it!.
XP comes at end and we tuned all on 20 minutes :)
There was even problem on separate playout PC! Solved that also now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:42 pm 

Quote:
Very well said :) I decided to comment on that because I also found it REALLY annoying. And the issues actually occur for NO REASON whatsoever.

Another Win7 bug... which makes me curious if it also occurs in Win 8 or 10.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:50 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Very well said :) I decided to comment on that because I also found it REALLY annoying. And it actually happens for NO REASON whatsoever.
There IS reason. Only rule i found is...

All programs and all that can be called "soundCard" so, VAC, real soundcard, etc.. need to to be adjusted to exactly same sample rate.
I had problem also on my PC too!
In standard configuration i use Winamp, RTA, VAC, ST and my soundcard.
Now RTA only works with 48kHz 16bit, meaning i need to make all others to work like that. Tuned vac. tuned ST.. both in VAC panel and windows sound panel, then i had problem with winamp. I cannot tune it to always play at 48kHz. It will play at samplerate as how file is. I found solution to use DS in winamp (i always used wave), and Input module decoder tuned to 48kHz. Then winamp always plays at 48, and only with DS is ok!

Finally sound was as should.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very well said :) I decided to comment on that because I also found it REALLY annoying. And it actually happens for NO REASON whatsoever.
There IS reason. Only rule i found is...

All programs and all that can be called "soundCard" so, VAC, real soundcard,. etc... Need to to be adjusted to exactly same sample rate.
I had problem also on my PC too!
In standard configuration i use Winamp, RTA, VAC, ST and my soundcard.
Now RTA only works with 48kHz 16bit, meaning i need to make all others to work like that. Tuned vac. tuned ST.. both in VAC panel and windows sound panel, then i had problem with winamp. I cannot tune it to always play at 48kHz. It will play at samplerate as how file is. I found solution to use DS in winamp (i always used wave), and Input module decoder tuned to 48kHz. Then winamp always plays at 48, and only with DS is ok!

Finally sound was as should.
DUH! in my test config it works like this:

For FM quality comparison:

Winamp 44.1 out -> VB cable (44.1) -> ST (96 kHz) -> VB hi fi (192) -> MPX tool (192 in, 48 kHz out) -> sound out in driver set to 192 kHz = no artifacts (every change brings on artifacts! When I set 44.1 in ST it also adds some spikes in 23-53 kHz area and there is noise on the pilot spectrum. 48 kHz in ST sounds worst).

In 44.1 mode it looks like this, to be precise:
http://i.imgur.com/cNlADDH.jpg - spikes
http://i.imgur.com/mw9iFcM.jpg - dirty MPX

For Normal Output:

Winamp 44.1 out -> VB cable (44.1) -> ST (44.1) -> sound out driver setting 44.1 kHz = clean

For the 44.1 vs 48 kHz file sample rate playback problem I gave up and convert all into 44.1 kHz when necessary. I don't use DS due to crossfader that I like (sqr soft).

Last edited by Slawomir B. on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:05 am 

Well VB is bit different then VAC. It seems it has some adaptive like resampling and does not bring those problems.
Also in VAC "range" to "format" can help.