All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:10 am 

TV signals need serious help. Lo pass filters to clean out high freq crap. dynamic range expansion, etc. StereoTool is just the answer. Now, how do I get these apps processeing their signals into Stereo Tool?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:36 am 
Site Admin

I don't know those applications, so I'm just guessing here...

Chances are that when you use those applications, the sound card input is sent to the speakers by the soundcard without processing it (on the Playback volume control, line in is enabled) - at least that's what other applications such as iuVCR and DScaler do. If so, I have a solution.

You can install the stand-alone Stereo Tool version, and let it process the sound card input. Turn down the monitoring input volume of the sound card, and instead use the Stereo Tool output.

Some hints if you are going to do this:
- Turn Low Latency processing on (at the bottom right of the advanced interface)
- If possible, use ASIO. (You could try ASIO4All if your sound card driver does not support ASIO). Without ASIO, Windows itself already causes a delay of about 300 ms, which is really annoying when watching tv. With ASIO the sound card delay is about 20 ms, which is not noticable.
- Turn as little processing on as possible. Everything you turn on causes delay, and if the delay gets too big, you will start noticing it.
- Based on my own experience: Use very little compression. TV signals often contain a lot of noise which will only get worse if you compress it too much. (Also, use the noise reduction filter.)