All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 pm 

Hello,

i am using the VST Version of the StereoTool in Adobe Audition 3.0 but i am not shure whats the difference but it seams that your Stereotool don't supports 32 bit Audio processing.

The Default including VST Effects can all handle the 32 float wave files correctly.

but if i process a 32 bit wave file i always get clipping (which did not occure in 32 bit) and the output also seems to be 16 bit.

Do you think you can support in future 32 bit float wave files?

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:02 am 

Hi Near05,
I am still not certain if your concern makes sense.
I have been using the VST plugin for some time now (in fact that's the only version I use).

StereoTool VST plugin supports processing at a precision of up to 64 bit float IEEE (on compatible hosts).
It works flawlessly here on my system on Adobe Audition 3.

What do you mean when you say '...output seems to be 16 bit'?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:12 pm 

Hello,

i will show you what i mean with some pictures:

This Picture is a 440 Hz Testtone for the StereoTool in 32 bit float with "clipping".

Because its 32 bit there is no real clipping as you can see here. I simply changed the Skale of the axis.

Now i am using Stereotool with no Settings, All Modules are off. you can see it here:

If you compare the first and this Picture you think that nothing has changed:

But if you do change the Skale as in the second Picture you see the following:

Its Clipping, on the end the wave changes the shape? how it that possible? if stereotool real supports 32 bit float processing then the result should be like the second picture.

Hans doo you have any Idea why this occurs?

Thank you for your Help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, ok. This makes sense. Stereo Tool outputs values between -32768 and +32767 (assuming 16 bit input), or smaller or bigger values depending on the chosen bit depth. Anyway, it always clips its output at the end. Which makes sense for Winamp (does not support this), stand alone mode (sound card does not support this) and many of the VST modes. But indeed, if you output "too loud" audio it will clip it.

For the VST parameters (all 32 bit floats!) the statement is that they *should* be between 0 and 1, other values may work but are not guarranteed to work. Not sure though if that same statement is also true for float sample values.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:19 pm 

Thank you Hans for your Description. You have been right, it seems to be clipped, because the level is bigger then the allowed values. I tryed again to use a 32 bit wav file and progess it the dynamics range doesn't change its only the clipping at the end of processing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:22 am 

Hey, the issue is you have the clipper on or the "limit at 0db" on. Turn those options off and then everything is good. You can verify this by processing with the limit at 0db and clip output off, then turn the volume down digitally 6 db. All your peaks will be there :)