All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Gapless playback
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:13 am 

I am interested in purchasing this product, as I have been using the free version for a while now. A question - I use this through Winamp - whenever I am using this program, gapless playback suffers greatly. Is that intended for the "free" version, is there a setting I am screwing up, is it Winamp....? My computer is a year and a half old, and when I turn off Stereo Tool, gapless seems to work, so I don't think it's a computer issue. Any idea?? If I can get gapless to work correctly with the program, I may give it a go!

Post subject: Re: Gapless playback
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:14 am 

I may have accidentally posted this in the wrong section of the forum....my apologies if I did. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:21 am 
Site Admin

How do you enable gapless playback in Winamp? It works fine with other players but with Winamp I've never been able to get it to play gapless in the first place... You can use a crossover-plugin, but they are usually output plugins, and because that comes after Stereo Tool and Stereo Tool causes a delay in the audio that Winamp doesn't compensate for, that won't work. With other players that have crossovers built in before sending audio to a DSP plugin, it works fine though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:59 pm 

I guess there is not such a thing as gaplass in Winamp....would this problem not exist if I bought the program standalone and not as a Winamp plugin? It is my one hesitation of buying it....for over $100, I don't want to have that annoying skip every time it changes songs. Without Stereo Tool on, it is pretty much gapless between songs. With Stereo Tool on, it is kind of a mess :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:44 am 

You can always install standalone, some virtual cable, and put your license ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

The stand alone - or any other player than Winamp - works fine. It's probably easier to get another player. There are many with DSP/VST plugin support, and gapless playback.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:31 am 

I'm bringing this thread back just because I want to make sure I explained it correctly. Below is a link to two quick sound clips...."gap" is when the stereo tool plugin is used, "gapless" is with the default Winamp plugin (Nullsoft Signal Processing Studio). I know above the comment was made Winamp doesn't have gapless. Well, this the end of a track by Dave Matthews Band called #41, and on the CD, goes right into the next song, Say Goodbye. You can clearly hear the gap/jump in the "gap" file, and you can hear how it all sounds like one track on the "gapless" file. Again, just confirming that this is a limitation of Stereo Tool with Winamp, and there's no way around it.

https://soundcloud.com/matthew-maker-1/sets/stereo-tool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:37 am 

anyone.....anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:55 pm 

I remember having this issue around 2003 with another processor in Winamp. If I recall correctly, the solution was to reduce the buffer length in Winamp to a less noticeable amount. Now I use Foobar2000 and either a Winamp DSP or a VST bridge and I don't experience this issue.

edit: To clarify an answer to your earlier question: The stand-alone version of Stereo Tool wouldn't include a gap since Winamp would then be using its default playout method instead of the Stereo Tool DSP. The stand-alone version doesn't introduce any additional skips in between songs and processes all audio across your entire PC. This includes Spotify or Tidal or any other streaming service.