All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Phase Rotation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:50 am 

I need an in-depth crash course in Phase Rotation, and Google isn't helping me today.

In general, I understand what it's supposed to do: take asymmetrical audio waves and reduce the volume so they don't create crazy spikes in the following audio processing.

However, I'm unable to hear what it's doing, even in extreme settings. (CONFESSION: I haven't recorded the output, so I assume if I looked at it in Adobe Audition I'd see the difference.)

Here are some of my questions:

Apparently we don't want phase rotation to start all the way down at the lowest frequencies... why not? I would think any asymmetrical wave would run the risk of triggering an inappropriate drop in the processing.

Initial Speed is the "attack time" of the Phase Rotation, I take it? Why would you not want that as fast as possible?

Rotations move the sound back and forth... perhaps comparable to a "release time"... again, wouldn't you want to get the audio back up as soon as the asymmetrical wave has passed?

Smooth, I understand. I'm only unclear on why you wouldn't want it at 100%.

Most of all, I don't understand why, if it's reducing the level on asymmetrical peaks, I can't hear what it's doing with all the other processing. I would think, at extreme levels, it would be "punching holes" in the sound... unless ALL of my audio files are symmetrical?? Is there some test I could do that would demonstrate to me what it's doing both good and bad?

I feel if I don't use it, I'm missing something important... but I'm completely unaware of the improvements it is making.

(Maybe that's a compliment!)

...Help?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

Post subject: Re: Phase Rotation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

You shouldn't hear the effect of the filter itself (it does NOT adjust the level at all, it just reduces the peak level). However, when you're clipping it should protect. Try music with trumpets for example (James Last comes to mind, uuuh, now I need to get it out again). That's HUGELY asymmetrical.

Post subject: Re: Phase Rotation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:22 pm 

Good info; I'll give it a shot!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA