All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27 pm 

Thank you for posting, itsalexjones. I purchased Stereo Tool a couple of weeks ago and struggled with it, trying to get the sound I was looking for. I used your setting for a day while I used it as a template for a 6 band version. It may not be for everyone taste but it has a bit tighter sound while maintaining the compressed nature. It's on Carolina Classic Hits - http://www.dollaraholler.com/listen128.pls.

I've finally been able to stop fiddling with it (for now).

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 pm 

Quote:
Thank you for posting, itsalexjones. I purchased Stereo Tool a couple of weeks ago and struggled with it, trying to get the sound I was looking for. I used your setting for a day while I used it as a template for a 6 band version. It may not be for everyone taste but it has a bit tighter sound while maintaining the compressed nature. It's on Carolina Classic Hits - http://www.dollaraholler.com/listen128.pls.

I've finally been able to stop fiddling with it (for now).

Rick
Not bad except too much clip on low end. Try to set "always clip below" to -2.5dB "Delay clip" to -1dB and drop to no clipping to 350Hz.
Also i see it's -5dB peek level(!), so no need for so much clipping! Better to rise peek to -1dB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:56 am 

Quote:
Not bad except too much clip on low end. Try to set "always clip below" to -2.5dB "Delay clip" to -1dB and drop to no clipping to 350Hz.
Also i see it's -5dB peek level(!), so no need for so much clipping! Better to rise peek to -1dB.
Thanks, Bojcha.
I just changed "always clip below" to -2.5, delay clip to -1 and set no clipping to 350. Those are all on the "Distortion" tab, right?
How (and where) do I get the peak level to -1? The Post Amp is set at -5.15 but that is to control the output to the encoder.
I appreciate your help and advice. I'm lost when it comes to the ins/outs of advanced processing.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:18 am 

Quote:
I just changed "always clip below" to -2.5, delay clip to -1 and set no clipping to 350. Those are all on the "Distortion" tab, right?
Yes that's it and it's better.
Quote:
How (and where) do I get the peak level to -1? The Post Amp is set at -5.15 but that is to control the output to the encoder.
That's it. Just set "post amp" to -1 or -1.5dB. Then you can pull back "advanced clipper" a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:05 am 

[/quote]That's it. Just set "post amp" to -1 or -1.5dB. Then you can pull back "advanced clipper" a bit.[/quote]

I set it at -1.5 and Advanced clipper down almost to 0. Sounded a bit gritty so I backed down the Multi Processor drive just a bit. Let me know what you think when you have a chance.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:07 am 

Also turned off Natural Dynamics...started to hear some weird stuff going on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:17 am 

yea better now :)
Try ND with no more then 50% "effect strenght".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:23 am 

I just turned it on. Right now, the settings on the "strength" page are x0.88 Effect Strength and 0.20 Dynamics and that is for all bands.

Effect strength on the main page is x0.96

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:17 pm 

I can't seem to quit fiddling back and forth with the settings; this is what I'm using today, tomorrow could be different...

The main thing I'm messing with these days in the gain input. Sometimes I feel it's too dense, other times I don't feel like I'm getting the "busy" sound I'm looking for.

(PLEASE keep in mind: I am not trying to get the "best" sound from Stereo Tool; I am trying to re-create the feeling of listening to a top 40 / pop radio station in the United States in the 1980s. They would have been using analog processors, and often pushing them VERY hard either to "compete" in loudness wars in their market, or to satisfy their program director who may have grown up with the "blowtorch" processing of the 1960s AM stations.)

I hope someone finds this useful, as a starting point if nothing else! I'm sure the settings will be different in month. :lol:

http://blacklightradio.com/blr0714.sts

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:52 am 

Blacklightradio, this preset sounds so great! Thank you for sharing it!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next