All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool Demo Video
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:41 pm 

I wasn't sure where to post this (feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate spot for it) but I finally made a video of what ST version 7.31 does with a Marian Trace Alpha sound card while playing the notoriously overshoot prone song Black And White by Three Dog Night. Worth noting that the audio source is a 128K .mp3 played using Winamp through the on board computer sound card into a 25 year old analog audio console. Living proof that with Stereo Tool, what comes out CAN sound better than what goes in! The Demod metering on this monitor only shows in 1db steps so all I can say for certain is that the demodulated audio is regularly exceeding 133%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMzMBUDB ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:53 am 

I see you lot mention that track. Here is the thing. The fact that this thing with overshot does not happen on Marian Trace and it happens on other soundcards cannot be right.
If you take Juli@ and do a good callibration, how overshots can happen then?
Also if i read right, problem is that track has big DC and overshot happens because that. Also not possible. Since strong HPF (and even way stronger non-linear HPF) just kills any trace of DC. There is many, many tracks, especially electronic music that has really big DC, Overshot thing does not happen at all.
So, even if this is really happens, and i must say that i never saw that, with BBP and ST, cause is not DC or soundcard.

There is some cases where some overshot happens, and that's why at some point Hans added "Forcibly remove DC" to "Advanced Clipper" section (still there, btw) but they was very small, something like 77-78kHz. But after ~year, that was not needed any more. So part of problem might be in limiter/clipper.

Anyway, since you have 128k of that track, i uploaded for you Flac file i downloaded 2-3 years ago to test same thing.
http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/10698441/file.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:53 am 

Quote:
I see you lot mention that track. Here is the thing. The fact that this thing with overshot does not happen on Marian Trace and it happens on other soundcards cannot be right.
If you take Juli@ and do a good callibration, how overshots can happen then?
Also if i read right, problem is that track has big DC and overshot happens because that. Also not possible. Since strong HPF (and even way stronger non-linear HPF) just kills any trace of DC. There is many, many tracks, especially electronic music that has really big DC, Overshot thing does not happen at all.
So, even if this is really happens, and i must say that i never saw that, with BBP and ST, cause is not DC or soundcard.

There is some cases where some overshot happens, and that's why at some point Hans added "Forcibly remove DC" to "Advanced Clipper" section (still there, btw) but they was very small, something like 77-78kHz. But after ~year, that was not needed any more. So part of problem might be in limiter/clipper.

Anyway, since you have 128k of that track, i uploaded for you Flac file i downloaded 2-3 years ago to test same thing.
http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/10698441/file.html
I found the email from Leif that explains and validates why the need exists for the Marian card. Unfortunately it references a post that I'm having trouble locating. Any able to locate this post? http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index. ... msg1329428