All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 am 

Hopefully this is the right spot to ask, if not please kick me to the correct place... :)

I'm using the VST plugin (in Reaper 4.32) and have a license for Stereo Tool and DeClipper but not for FM.

* In the Multiband screen is a "Quick Adjust" Density control - what is the function of that control and, if possible, what exactly does it do? Is it similar to the limit <==> compress slider before or is that obsolete now?

* Multiband: Flat frequency response slider
[edit: I have the answer if it is similar to the classic multiband - Is this correct for the new multiband also?]
FLAT FREQUENCY RESPONSE
Tone comes out at roughtly the same level regardless of whether they are at the center or between frequency bands.

Without this mode, if a single tone is in between two bands it will come out about twice as loud as when it's in the center of a band. This is most noticeable when playing a tone sweep, but normal music can also be affected by this. Especially bass frequencies can often not be controlled accurately without Flat frequency response mode.

Flat frequency response mode enables POST FILTER. If that filter was not already enabled, the CPU load is increased.

* Multiband --> Detection
Separation: What is the function of that (Stereo detector or dual-mono maybe?)

Multiband ---> Burst Protection
Is this something for transients where (using default) 1.5ms attack and x1.00 Release (1.5ms release?) might constrain a quick pop or crack transient?
Also what is Min drop?

Thank you for your guidance!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 am 

Well - this is embarrassing...my multiband controls I was asking about above for version 7.10 are no longer there...

obviously there is something basic I don't understand.

I'll install the new 7.11 beta and see if the controls return (I have version 7.03, 7.10 and will have v 7.11 installed at the same time - hopefully that's ok?)

EDIT: [IamAMoronError] Something switched the user iinterface back into basic operating mode. I must have hit the wrong button somehow... :oops:

Now I can see Multiband -- Detection and my Azimuth controls again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 am 

OK, can I try this again?
I'm looking for a description as if I was reading a description from the future manual...

[Assuming Configuration --> User Interface --> Operating Mode = Extreme Teeaker]
What is Multiband --> Detection --> 'Separation' ?

I'd like to know what it means and what its function is.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:48 am 

If you make window more width.. you'll see "Channel separation"

At 0% means that compressor (band) will take louder channel and work with that.
more then 0%, same but softer channel starts to go up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:48 am 

Thanks Bojcha - I'm using the VST plugin in my Reaper DAW host and I don't see a way to change the window width. Running the stand alone version I can see 'Channel separation' clearly. Nice tip!

Let me see if I understand the description of 'Channel Separation' for each multi-compressor band:
At 0% the detector senses the loudest channel (Left or Right) and applies the same gain reduction to both channels of the stereo compressor. Similar to a Stereo linked compressor button.
For values greater than 0% the detector begins to more independently sense the Left/Right channel and applies gain control to each channel of the stereo compressor based on that value. Similar to a Stereo unlinked button only with a slider to set percent of linkage.

Anyway, I'm wondering if that's the way it works. Like a 2-channel detector feeding a 2-channel compressor where the detector will send the same gain reduction to both channels (0% channel separation) or a more independent gain reduction to each channel (1%-100% channel separation).

I've just begun some testing so I appreciate the clues!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 am 

0% means compressor will process both channels taking louder channel.
50% means same as 0%, but, softer channel will be half processed then louder then at 0%
100% means both channels separately processed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:37 pm 

Quote:
...100% means both channels separately processed.
Thank you - that clears things up for me!
[thanks for all the nice presets also]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:44 am 

OK great - I just tested this in my Reaper DAW (using a 1KHz tone and L/R panning) and can add:
0% Separation is the same as 'Stereo Linked'
100% Separation is the same as 'Dual Mono' or 'Stereo Unlinked'
Anything else provides a varying degree of Stereo Linkage.

I like the Multiband Channel Separation feature because it allows me to 'repair' a stereo song where there is an undesired transient in one channel but not the other, at Separation 100% it will fix the problem without preserving the stereo field which is wrong in that case anyway. Live recordings sometimes need this, or any badly recorded song for that matter.

I'm not a radio guy now (I have worked in a radio station in the past), I am using Stereo Tool to remaster many different audio recordings. I remaster one song at a time, maybe a little different from radio folks who use presets that allow many different song types to sound good, I'm making exact settings for the needs of a single song. At this point anyway...but I'm not streaming content.

OK then, Separation is out of the way...what next?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
* In the Multiband screen is a "Quick Adjust" Density control - what is the function of that control and, if possible, what exactly does it do? Is it similar to the limit <==> compress slider before or is that obsolete now?
Density is similar to Drive, except that it corrects the Band Mix for volume changes (per band). So for example, if you're using feed forward processing, ratio 3:1, and Density Drive is increased by 9 dB, it will determine that the output level is probably 3 (9/3) dB higher and reduce band mix by 3 dB.
Quote:
* Multiband: Flat frequency response slider
[edit: I have the answer if it is similar to the classic multiband - Is this correct for the new multiband also?]
FLAT FREQUENCY RESPONSE
Tone comes out at roughtly the same level regardless of whether they are at the center or between frequency bands.

Without this mode, if a single tone is in between two bands it will come out about twice as loud as when it's in the center of a band. This is most noticeable when playing a tone sweep, but normal music can also be affected by this. Especially bass frequencies can often not be controlled accurately without Flat frequency response mode.
Kinda similar, but it works less good!
Quote:
* Multiband --> Detection
Yes, or anything in between.
Quote:
Multiband ---> Burst Protection
Is this something for transients where (using default) 1.5ms attack and x1.00 Release (1.5ms release?) might constrain a quick pop or crack transient?
Also what is Min drop?
No not really. If you have a preset with a slow attack, and there's suddenly a big volume increase, you'll hear the initial sounds way too loud and then the volume gradually moves towards the target level. To avoid this, there's a 2nd compressor which uses the same settings but different attack time. Now due to the fact that this compressor has a much faster attack, the level that it finds will be much lower in general - there's a slider to compensate for that. Min drop is the amount of volume drop in a short time that must occur for this 2nd compressor to be looked at - if there's no big drop like that its levels are ignored.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:13 am 

Thanks hvz - that helps a lot.
I see what you mean about Density now. It's like pushing into the compressor band with more gain (similar to using the Multiband Drive control), compression increases naturally, but the Multiband-->Levels-->Mix compensates and turns down the band output, instant density for all the bands at a reasonable and compensated output level!

I assume the Mix is some kind of band output gain (not dry/wet) meant to adjust the 'Mix' of the band in the summed output. At least it sounds like it's working that way.

You certainly have exposed quite a lot of control to the end user, thanks for that. I'm just trying to understand the correct meaning/symantics of some of the controls I'm not familar with. :)