All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm 

Yes, I had misunderstood what's written on that page.

Last edited by mikehende on Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:05 pm 

Quote:
Wait a minute guys, I can't seem to get the most basic audio settings going, looking at different youtube ST tutorials, they are all show a 'Configuration' panel on the left like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgTNfkCBLBA

and I am reading from the online manual but confused on how to get youtube playing through ST, I have ST Basic Standalone version installed and open but seeing a different interface from those video tutorials? Also, looking in the pc's Sound options I am not seeing ST to select it for Playback or Recording, how can i do this please? This is the GUI I am seeing:

https://i.postimg.cc/FHCPkX29/st.png
Yeah, last year they updated the GUI in version 10. That video is from before the update. The concept should be the same, you just have to expand the trees in the UI to see everything.

In short, you need something like VBcable with Windows set to use it. Then you need to set ST's Input 1 to the VBcable you set Windows to use so it can be processed. Then to hear it, you set the HD Output to use your output device (speakers/headphones/sound card). Finally, you will need to reduce the buffer size from 1000ms to something closer to 100ms or 50ms, provided it's stable enough (expand the > next to HD Output).

edit: Here's a screenshot pointing to which things you likely need to change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:16 pm 

Hmnn, thanks but not sure if I am routing the audio properly, I am hearing the music through ST but something doesn;t seem right. These are my overall settings

This is the SOUND Playback settings. VB is set as the Default but the Samsung Display Audio is the soundcard as I am testing this on my Samsung Monitor's built-in audio

and this is the SOUND Recording

and this is what I am seeing in Windows icon at bottom of screen which moving the volume slider does not adjust the volume, what am I doing wrong please?

Sorry for the hassle, these tech stuff sometimes confuses the bejeezes out of me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:36 pm 

Hm, it all looks correct. Can you explain what you mean by doesn't seem right? Try some other presets like I talked about a few posts back.

The volume can be controlled via Stereo Tool with the slider under HD Output. VB cable doesn't work with window's volume controls, unfortunately.

I have an AutoHotkey script that maps the system volume to stereo tool's volume though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:55 pm 

Oh I see, thanks for confirming that I have actually done something right :). I had thought moving the windows volume slider should be working as normal, that is why I had said something doesn't seem right.

but I can't test right now unfortunately, as I got to go get some work done now for a few hours but will test with the instructions you guys have given me and will report back soon as I can get to it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 pm 

Ok guys, I can do my testing now. Testing now with these 2 tunes and that taylor swift tune seems to be consistent with most videos on my end. I have adjusted the Buffer to 104 and using the Adaptive Bass Monster. No matter which preset I load there is first a major problem with the audio not being in sync with the video, what can i do here to correct that and also to get the Steve Miller song to match the volume of the Taylor song please?

https://i.postimg.cc/3x1m0SHB/comparison.png

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm 

Quote:
Ok guys, I can do my testing now. Testing now with these 2 tunes and that taylor swift tune seems to be consistent with most videos on my end. I have adjusted the Buffer to 104 and using the Adaptive Bass Monster. No matter which preset I load there is first a major problem with the audio not being in sync with the video, what can i do here to correct that and also to get the Steve Miller song to match the volume of the Taylor song please?

https://i.postimg.cc/3x1m0SHB/comparison.png
There's still an obvious delay when set to 104? That's about 6 frames difference at 60 fps. If you can make it lower and keep the buffer bar % stable, it would reduce the delay. You can try holding SHIFT to make the slider move more per mouse wheel notch, and CTRL to make it move less, or you can right-click and type a value (in case you have trouble dialing in a buffer/delay with the slider).

Make sure the videos coming into Stereo Tool are maxed out in volume, also enable the declipper (in the Repair section) to reduce some of the distortions in the Steve Miller band video. If you can't find a preset that keeps the audio mostly consistent, keep trying. Try some of Bojcha's presets, too. That video is an exception to most videos on YouTube.

You can also try playing with the Quick-Adjust sliders on the home/processing page. Raising the density essentially makes the compressors work harder.

edit: Try the Adaptive Bass Monster DENSE version, not the OPEN version to get more aggressive processing. The Open one doesn't keep the levels as consistent as you want.

edit2: Also it's to be noted that the Adaptive presets use the Advanced Dynamics license, which is not part of Basic Stereo Tool. To disable this and any other unregistered aspect, click the big red banner at the top and it'll take you to a button to Turn All Unlicensed Features Off. This will help you understand more how it's going to sound with a Basic license. You'll still likely need to reenable the Advanced Clipper (Processing, Limiting and Clipping, Advanced Clipper) to keep the output clean.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:44 pm 

I am trying Hello Nine. Have dropped the buffer size to 70ms. Still same delay.

I think you are correct on this particular video is not the norm so might be best to remove/replace this and all videos with similar issues from my playlist? No matter what I do I still see the Input meter maxed out and red on this video and it's not only it's volume, the overall instruments are louder than other videos because when I drop that video's volume to match another track and run both at the same time this video still covers the other one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm 

Quote:
I am trying Hello Nine. Have dropped the buffer size to 70ms. Still same delay.

I think you are correct on this particular video is not the norm so might be best to remove/replace this and all videos with similar issues from my playlist? No matter what I do I still see the Input meter maxed out and red on this video and it's not only it's volume, the overall instruments are louder than other videos because when I drop that video's volume to match another track and run both at the same time this video still covers the other one.
Try using WASAPI on your Input/Output instead of Kernal Streaming or MME. WASAPI can handle lower latencies. However, if you have an ASIO-capable hardware device, that would be capable of the lowest latency.

It should be noted that Loudness is different from Peak value. LUFS-i (Loudness Units full-scale Integrated) is the normalization unit of measurement. This article should cover it. https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what- ... ld-i-care/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:26 pm 

Thanks for that article, it is correct in it's assessment of Spotify. I understand about 'peak and RMS' but it seems to my ears that everything in that video's audio is louder than what's normal for the average music videos audio.

I think however that unless someone here can get ST to adjust that problem video on the fly to match the average YT videos then it might best to simply ditch this and any other problem videos from my playlists to avoid all of these problems. Or if there is a way to save the the video at a specified volume level this would have solved this problem for the most part.