All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:01 am 

Guys,

I've spent hours trying to convert our preset (from essentially 8.21) to 8.40 using all the new features, but can't get it close enough to the same sound.

I thought I had it close enough & put it to air, then came the (less than desirable) comments from other staff, & the station manager came & said not close enough, I don't like it, put the old settings back on air.

I would like to use feedback mode 2, take the compressors out of "legacy mode" & move from "Peak to RMS".

I obviously missed something though, because the sound lost depth (sounded thin) & it also sounded over driven, all the levels on the meters were very close to the original (pre conversion), & none were in the red or indicating anything being overdriven or too loud, even though some of the settings were different.

Even though it sounded overdriven, what came out the end was very clean & clear, just a thinner sound & obviously different enough to cause a stir.

Any helpful tips for what I need to change & by roughly how much?

I've followed Wes's threshold recommendations (but had to move them a bit more than he did).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:17 pm 

The changes you describe making in 8.40 are far larger than what I was discussing in my post that you referenced.

My post only described changes you would need to make when moving from old RMS mode to new RMS mode using my presets. You're discussing something entirely different (going from Peak to RMS and using Feedback ^2). Making changes that large, you're basically starting over. I don't think I (or anyone else probably) could provide useful guidance on how to convert a preset directly.

You'll just have to listen and make it sound awesome again!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:36 pm 

Thanks Wes, that's basically what I've been doing, starting over. When I said I've spent hours converting it I didn't mean just a few.

I'm hoping every setting doesn't need changing though, that's why I wanted some tips, hoping someone would have an idea on what won't need changing.

Yeah I know I'm going further than what you were discussing about moving from old RMS to new RMS, but knowing Peak to new RMS is more than what you were doing, I could use your recommended changes as a rough base of which way to move & how much, that's why I said I had to move the thresholds a bit more than you did (to my ears, about 1.7-2dB).

Looks like I've still got some more hours in front of me to get it right.