All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:27 pm 

Hi all,

First of all, excuse my English, I'm French and I have been passionate about broadcast sound processors since many many years.

I'm thinking about getting the best sound possible as I am a big fan of omnia and orban but can't afford their hardware products :/

According to your experience, personal and professional, what is the best sound between Breakaway, ZIPSTREAM 9x2 and stereotool. I know their options are different when we want to broadcast, but it's for a personal use. I have tried the Omnia, LOVE the sound but I also really like breakway [the pre emphasis....) and stereotool ( but difficult to set up, the interface is not enough user friendly to me).

Could you give me your point of view and pros and cons for each of them ?

Thank you a LOT in advance for your help, I'm a bit lost and seriously think about purchasing the ZIPstream 9x2 but it's a bit expensive for a personal use.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

You might want to include Omnia SST in your comparison, it's a lot easier to set up than Stereo Tool.

http://www.minnetonkaaudioshop.com/3001-00070

This is for FM, so it might be overkill.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:36 pm 

Quote:
You might want to include Omnia SST in your comparison, it's a lot easier to set up than Stereo Tool.

http://www.minnetonkaaudioshop.com/3001-00070

This is for FM, so it might be overkill.
Thank you ! Yeah but how can I hear the sound ? I don't understand the products line, very complicated : Omnia 9xe, Omnia SST, don't know which one has the best sound processor. Does the Omnia SST has the same sound, processor of Stereotool ? What is the best for audio between those ones : Stereotool, Breakaway, Omnia ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:52 am 

Do you want to use it on FM / AM or Online Streaming?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:39 am 

Quote:
Do you want to use it on FM / AM or Online Streaming?

It's for a personal use. As I explained, I have always been passionate about broadcast audio processors. When I was 12, my only wish was to reproduce the sound heard on the radio. First, I thought special CDs were sent to radios, and then, I discovered compressors etc... :-)))) Can't listen to my music without having it processed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:51 pm 

Hi All,

Could you help me :-)

I am looking forward to find a way to geta software very close to the Omnia sound.

I understand that there are three "schools" at Telos Alliance :

1. Team Leif (Omnia 7,9, 9x2, Breakaway)
2. Team Cornelius (Omnia Axe, Omnia 11)
3. Tea Hans (Stereotool, Omnia SST)

I can't afford an Omnia in hardware but I would love to have something closer to the "original sound" of Omnia. What should I do ? I am now using an Omnia AXE for my little radio (my project has evolved) (sunnydale radio on TuneIN), but i am now considering buying a ZipStream X2 (with 3 bands) or getting a 9xe or an Omnia sst. but according to the information they sound a lot different from each other. What do think about the three band processing from ZIPstreamx2 ?
Is it worth buying à 9x2 or an Omnia SST ? I would very much appreciate to be able to have a conversation with an engineer or a user passionate about sound processors to understand the difference in the processing... It seems like there is no more "Omnia Sounds" >> I loved the Omnia 4) >> as there are three different schools, three different sounds. Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for my english.

here is the link to my radio : http://tun.in/sfvsa (on mobile only for the moment)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:47 pm 

Stereo Tool will get you very close to the sound of the hardware processors. I've helped a couple stations get their stream to sound every bit as good as large market US stations. In a side by side comparison between stereo tool and stations using the latest Orban / Omnia hardware, I found stereo tool to be of similar capability.

Why don't you give it a try with the 39 euro version? There are many presets that are a great starting point. You may find help from someone on this forum to suggest some tweaks once you put it on the stream.

Sean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:53 pm 

I understand that Omnia 7/9 uses the Undo + Composite clipper + Stereo Generator from Stereo Tools, and the rest of the sound processing follows the algorithms of BreakawayOne?
What do you think, which option would be better - buy Omnia 7 (~ 6500 $) or try to build a variant of PC + sound card + SST / StereoTool / BreakawayOne (~2500-3000$) for FM radio?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pm 

So, what did you decide on? The plugin?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:09 am 

My understanding is that Undo is actually two parts: Hans's declipper and Leif Claesson's dynamics detection/expansion (which is not in BreakawayOne).

I've been using Stereo Tool's VST with BreakawayOne for a couple years now, and it's been an excellent combo. However lately Stereo Tool has overtaken BreakawayOne for my use (personal/home audio) as the way to handle peaks and other processing, like sub harmonics or the multiband. BreakawayOne's HD core is still great for gaming and other apps that need minimal latency, and I use it to run ST's VST plugin for easy swapping between processors. (edit: I'd say at the moment my primary use for BAO is to output processed sound to multiple devices. I don't know if I'd continue using BAO if ST received an update to its I/O).

Also, wouldn't you want the SG/clipper after the AGC/multiband? The VST support for BreakawayOne is only applied to the input. So I guess you'd have to run Stereo Tool as a VST inside BAOne for the declipper and stuff, then route your Breakaway output pipeline through the stand alone version of Stereo Tool to get the final FM processing.

If Leif's multiband detection and expansion algorithm is as great as he makes it out to be (and the demonstrations back this up), an Undo capable appliance seems to be the way to go, IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it always seemed that part of the high cost of hardware processors is that you're paying the premium to have tech support by industry professionals.