All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:27 pm 

Would I get better sound with StereoTool by selecting 16-bit 192,000 Hz or 24-bit 96,000 Hz.

I'm broadcasting with FM transmitter using Hanz v. Zutphen - Analog Pleasure FM (75 μs) profile.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 am 

For an FM signal 96kHz is simply not an option, since this samplerate isn't high enough to contain stereo/RDS.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 pm 

Good to know. Thank you.

I haven't tried to enable RDS yet because I thought somewhere I read the transmitter would have to be switched to mono. But it would be really cool to have both RDS and stereo FM transmission.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:24 pm 

Quote:
I haven't tried to enable RDS yet because I thought somewhere I read the transmitter would have to be switched to mono. But it would be really cool to have both RDS and stereo FM transmission.
If you use Stereo Tool to generate an FM MPX signal, your transmitter has to accept mono input whether you use RDS or not. Your transmitter should absolutely not stereo modulate while the signal it receives is already modulated. In this case you'd probably also be pre-emphasizing twice which is bad for your audio.
So you have two options:
1) Feed the transmitter "normal" stereo audio and have the transmitter do the pre-emphasis and stereo modulation. In this case you can use 96kHz samplerate, but I doubt it'd buy you much compared to 44.1kHz.
2) Feed the transmitter mono FM MPX (with stereo and RDS, if you want). Have Stereo Tool do the stereo modulation, RDS generation and pre-emphasis. In this case you need 192kHz samplerate, 96kHz is not an option.

I would always go for the second option, mainly because the composite clipper in Stereo Tool will give you a much better sound since it can be louder without sacrificing dynamics. But it's also easier to maintain and operate since you have all your settings in ST.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 pm 

I know SoundBlaster Audigy cards are listed as listed as not supported for RDS or 192khz but I didn't know that before I bought it...

Creative claims it supports 24-bit/192khz and there is an option in Windows for it... but ST says it's not 192khz capable.

So I've been trying to get it to work on my own without any luck.

Am I wasting my time or is there some trick I can use to get RDS with a SoundBlaster Audigy 5/Rx on Windows 10?

If there is no hope of it working, what is the cheapest card that would do the job?

PS: I also tried it with the onboard Realtek card on 24-bit/192khz and ST didn't detect that either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:50 am 
Site Admin

ST didn't detect it??? Which version of Stereo Tool are you using? Unless you're using the latest beta's, they can't see if a card supports 192 kHz (except in ASIO mode - and that would indeed not work with Realtek because it doesn't have ASIO support, you need to use the non-ASIO controls or install ASIO4All).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:26 am 

I'm using v8.23. With both cards it says "The current sample rate is too low" when I enable FM Stereo or RDS.

Embarrassingly, I'm not sure what ASIO is.

I kind of inherited an LPFM station and am learning as I go. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Please check the sample rate under Configuration -> Sound cards -> Sample rate. It should be 176.4 or 192 kHz if you're using ASIO (and if you get this message, you probably are ;) ).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:32 pm 

I installed ASIO but I'm not seeing the configuration settings for it.

The icon for ASIO is also not showing up.

I'm using SereoTool as a plugin in NextKast if that makes a difference.

I haven't tried to restart because it's daytime.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:29 am 
Site Admin

O, there's no ASIO in the plugin version. Other possibility is that you're playing stuff at 22 or 24 kHz.