All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Power Bass
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:38 am 

Hello and greetings to Hans and all forum members.

I'm a long time Stereo Tool user and I'm thinking this is still the best sounding processing tool for my purpose.
I'm using it for a non commercial webstream which is promoted on my music blog.

Though I've tried and found solutions for my problems by reading this great forum this time I do have a subject where I need support , maybe more understanding about the setup of Stereo Tool.

This is my case:

All of my music database is saved as FLAC files, because everything was ripped of original CDs or bought in FLAC stores like qobuz or 7digital.
My automation software is mAirlist. I'm working with the Winamp built of Stereo Tool, there is more consistency with mAirlist.
All the audio data was edited by a program which analyzes the loudness level (EBU R128) and saved it as a Replay Gain level.

I do have a lot of old stuff where I would like to use Power Bass and Power Highs to get a nearly unique Bass level with the current productions. I know that this is quite impossible (Sub Bass etc.) but I would like to achieve the same energy level.

So I've managed to put the "Low input level correction panel" up because my stuff is roundabout -12 to -5 dB. As I understand ST needs a consistent peak level that touches 0 dB. So after that I recognize that if I put Power Bass on and listen to the "difference" there is nothing happening. So i've tried to put the "drive" on the AGC up and with a "drive" setting about +15dB Power Bass ist working but it's destroying my dynamic and crushes the signal.

Is there any other option I didn't think about to achieve my goal? I want to use Power Bass but i DON'T want to compress my audio signal more than 1,5x.

Any feedback much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Power Bass
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:20 am 

Hi Michel,

Power bass is part of the AGC, so you'll have to set up the AGC properly to use it. If you feel the AGC is doing too much you should adjust the band speeds and other settings to change its behaviour, or you could copy the settings from another preset.
Also take a look at the "True Bass" filter, which reconstructs missing bass harmonics.