All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:06 am 

Hi,
I recently purchased the Delossifier option for ST, which is awesome. I'm just trying to get the best sound from it, but I can't find anywhere that the options are documented, specifically the Spectral Hole Filler. This is the audio I'm listening to, it's 64kbps (VBR) AAC+ (I think it's plus) audio.

I've tried searching the forums here, but there's no way I can find to search individual threads (you have to search the whole forum) and most of my searches give me the ever infuriating message "The words you searched for are too common"

Can anyone link me to detail of what the various options (i.e. "Do Not Reconstruct" vs "Reconstruct Top Part) do, and why the chosen ones are the default etc?

Thanks!
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Admin

In general, the default settings are probably the optimal settings, and changing them won't improve the sound.

"Reconstruct top part" reconstructs audio above the lowpass frequency used by the codec. You should leave it off, if you want to reconstruct the top part, use Absolute Highs for that. It does a better job, and you can tell it to talk to the Delossifier so it knows where to start. (This is all Extreme Tweaker mode, I would advise you to not use that mode, most of the things you'll find in it aren't very useful).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 pm 

Thanks Hans,

Figured the defaults would be the "best", wasn't sure if I could tweak it more though.
Sometimes the stream I'm listening too has quite bad mp3/compression artifacts and I was hoping to twiddle with something to clean it up more.
But yea, 64kb/s, there's gotta be something that gives.

Cheers,
Tim