All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Noob seeking preset
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 pm 

Quote:
I have browsed the forum for presets but i think most of them have a really "hard" sound. Punchy if you will. Im looking for a soft sound much like p5 hits
http://oslo.p5.no/player/

I have messed around with the processing myself but i must realize that im not good enough for that. So can anyone help me please.

Best regards
Jess Pedersen
i have no way to attach the STS file in this post so here is a link to the "audio.sts" file from my website for version 8.54 - http://www.scpdny.com/audio.sts (right click, save as), load as "all audio settings".
i know exactly what you are looking for as i have mine set up quite simple using just AGC, MB1 (digital) and clipper.
i prefer a "flat" sound but slightly boosted preserving the dynamics but clipping bursts and peaks above 0dB.
i specifically calibrated this using white noise as a reference.
the AGC will keep an average target at 0dB but is very slow adjusting downward to prevent pumping.
the AGC has a very high burst/peak limit in an attempt to preserve the dynamics and prevent pumping.
the MB1 (digital) is calibrated to simply provide a -36db threshold, 9 band flat boost from the AGC.
MB1 (digital) is also calibrated to pass through peaks and bursts in an attempt to preserve the dynamics.
both MB1 & AGC have 5dB upward window to preserve dynamics.
the last stage is the clipper which keeps the overall range at 0dB clipping the bursts and peaks.
the idea here is to provide a 9 band flat boost at -36dB using dynamic compression with the illusion of dynamic range created by each independent flat output of the 9 bands of MB1, each band output peak above 0dB is clipped by the clipper at 0dB, the sound is not altered in such a way that it sounds totally different than the original sound does.
you can make a comparison by switching on/off MB1.

Last edited by EliteData on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 pm 

Quote:
Hi Elite

I love that preset. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much :-)

Sounds allmost like the link i posted.

Jess Pedersen
welcome.
i did a minor update to it and uploaded it again, "improved release" is now turned on and "gating level" at 0dB (AGC was too fast even after 5dB window)
i wanted to keep it as simple as possible to preserve the sound, not alter and change it, only "boost" it, keep the dynamics and keep peaks clipped at 0dB.
i use ST to process the sound from my cable box and the PC (latency < 200mS), works very well when watching twitch.tv game streamers with their very unpredictable audio.
the "oslo" stream sounds okay but in my opinion, the compression is just a tiny bit over the top.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:51 pm 

Hi EliteData,
after 3 days trying to find the perfect preset for my needs, I stumbled across this post and tried your preset.
I needed a preset to convert my song collection to mp3 to listen in the car, so most of all I needed an even loudness across all songs (from metal to classical).
And your preset is amazing! It is what I was looking for. It works perfectly for all kind of music without "pumping" or unwanted volume changes from the original track!
I just lowered the pre-amp to +1.00db.

Thank you very much!
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:10 pm 

Quote:
Hi EliteData,
after 3 days trying to find the perfect preset for my needs, I stumbled across this post and tried your preset.
I needed a preset to convert my song collection to mp3 to listen in the car, so most of all I needed an even loudness across all songs (from metal to classical).
And your preset is amazing! It is what I was looking for. It works perfectly for all kind of music without "pumping" or unwanted volume changes from the original track!
I just lowered the pre-amp to +1.00db.

Thank you very much!
Adam
thats an old sts i created awhile back meant for loudness.
here is one i created that is meant to "enhance" the original input source, but in a subtle and gentle way, retaining dynamics but not joining the "loudness war" as we know it.
maybe you would like this one better since i use this as a "universal" processor that i use for my PC and TV audio.
it will likely sound "lower" to you but the point is to compare the original input source by pressing "bypass" to see the overall difference between both.
this works really well for the various content on youtube that has different input levels, maintaining an average while maintaining dynamics and enhancing the overall sound.
additionally, i do utilize deprecated settings that may not appear or operate unless you tick the following settings under "configuration":
"show deprecated settings" and "keep unused deprecated settings on preset load"
http://scpdny.com/sts-2022.sts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:49 am 

Thanks a lot for your reply and update.
I tried your new preset but I seem to prefer the old one for my needs.
Keep this thread update in case you improve your sts!

Thanks again for all your great work.
Adam