All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Declipper settings
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:17 am 

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the declipper function - if I am using this with FLAC and MP3 files which are played digitally on the same machine as StereoTool is running, do I need to enable 'Analogue Input' mode ?

The reference manual says yes if the audio is resampled:
http://help.stereotool.com/7.60/declipper.shtml

When the guide says "resampled" does it mean the original audio file itself sampled down from it's original lossless recording or StereoTool resampling between input and output sound sources.

I assume the original audio file.

BeDazzler.

Post subject: Re: Declipper settings
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

If you for example resample 48 kHz FLAC to 44.1 Stereo Tool, then yes.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:59 pm 

Thanks Hans, I enabled it anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:26 pm 

So, since as good as all music released in the recent decades will have been downsampled to 44.1 kHz from a higher rate, I should always have the Analogue input option selected?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hm, is that the case - and if so, was that done before it was clipped? Then probably yes...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:37 pm 

Quote:
Hm, is that the case - and if so, was that done before it was clipped? Then probably yes...
Hmm … I think most mastering engineers work in 96 or 48 kHz and then downsample the completed master to 44.1 kHz. That would mean SRC would have occurred after clipping/limiting. So, if I understand your answer correctly, I should not have "Analog Source" selected?

Post subject: Another question …
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:13 am 

If the peaks after declipping reaches higher than 0 dBFS, which is very likely, will Stereo Tool clip the signal, even though I use a 64-bit floating point audio engine? I will of course attenuate the signal after the plugin to avoid clipping the master output.

The level indicators in Stereo tool become red if I don't attenuate within the plugin (using the Preamplifier), but if I do, the input and output graphs will have different levels, which makes it hard to see exactly what Declipper does to the signal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:27 am 
Site Admin

If you use the VST plugin, you can let it output things at > 0 dB, but the behavior in that case is undefined (meaning: it's not allowed in the VST spec, so some clients or hosts might not be able to handle it). But, yes, it should in most (nearly all?) cases work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:48 am 

Is there any disadvantage to leaving "...analog..." checked all the time? In other words, is the system more likely to miss clipped samples with a pure digital source?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is there any disadvantage to leaving "...analog..." checked all the time? In other words, is the system more likely to miss clipped samples with a pure digital source?
It might treat too many samples as "unreliable", which means it has less data to based the reconstruction on.

In general, for good reconstruction, it's much worse to see a clipped sample as not-clipped (forcing the reconstruction to not change that sample) than the opposite (throwing away a perfectly good sample), but ideally you shouldn't do either.