All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: fake stereo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:05 pm 

i have a question about the fake stereo. its sounds very broad and i like it. but sounds like delayed. is there a chance to fix this?

Post subject: Re: fake stereo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:05 pm 

Fake Stereo introduce a delay between the left and right channel. Then it's normal that soudn like delayed, it's the principe of Fake Stereo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:36 am 

okay and how i get such a broad stereo effect without phase issuses? i already use the imager with phase shift 80 deg so on the correlation its 0 +1. and if i pull it up to the max and change the signal to mono it compeltly resolves. if i use the very broad fake stereo, i dont have any phase issuses. little bit strangexD. i needed only the fake stereo for a broad bassline, but with the delay i cant use it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:04 pm 

My trick has always been as follows:

Create a new stereo track "Delay" which contains your mono "Orig" audio on both channels.

Invert the polarity of one channel of the "Delay" track.

Add this "Delay" track back to your original audio, slightly delayed (try 10-25 mSec), and at a lower level (try -20dB). This will create some ripples in the response of each channel, but the ripples will be opposite because of the above polarity reversal. Of course play around with the level and amount of delay to suit your taste.

This has the advantage of creating a completely unaltered mono-compatible signal. (Left channel is Orig+Delay, Right channel is Orig-Delay. When you sum them to M/S the resulting Main channel (i.e. the mono broadcast) will be:
((Orig+Delay)+(Orig-Delay))/2 = Original unaltered signal only.

Please let me know whether this works for your application.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:02 am 

ehm i think i m too stupid for this xD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:56 pm 

Quote:
ehm i think i m too stupid for this xD
I can't make it any simpler than that. Do you know how to copy and paste audio files within an editing program?

Otherwise I suggest you try eBay, search for Fisher Spacexpander. :-(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:12 pm 

u have a video tutorial:> would be n1 :D? i dont check even this sentence: Create a new stereo track "Delay" which contains your mono "Orig" audio on both channels.

i shall add a delay on this track or i shall use precomputer effects to add a delay? how much % delay it needs?

and i need a track with right and left channel or a track with mid and side channel? english isnt my main language and the translator speets out only shi t gg

or u mean a input delay?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:08 am 

Sorry, I don't do video. I think a tutorial should be written step-by-step, so the reader can understand and try each step in order.

Do you want to add "fake stereo" to a single mono track, or to a pair of stereo tracks?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:33 pm 

y i want to add fake stereo to a mono track.

i tried the the stereo tool imager but the image field is too small. i mean its mono compatibel is do his job well. but kind need something what fills the whole headphones and the speakers. if i look to the imager after i used the imager the room is not filled. and if i go higher settings it starting canceling out. and the fake stereo is well. but a real stereo does not panning like this. so i would like it to use it on every channel but i cant use it with this strange pannings. so i need another source. where i get this broad sound.

what u mean with "delay" a stereo signal with an already delay signal? or a mono signal with adding delay? describe it little bit more. what u mean excatly with "delay" the rest is eazy to make .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:46 pm 

OK, here's a very simple description of what I do. This can be done in any audio editor like Audacity, Adobe Audition, Cool Edit, etc. This process needs only one pair of stereo tracks (one L and one R) so you don't even need a multi-track program, just stereo. There are many steps, so I will suggest file names. If you use the same file names, it might make it easier to keep track of the process.

1.) Start with your mono file. Make a 2-track copy. Both tracks (L and R) will have exactly the same audio. Peaks should be no louder than -6dBFS. Save a copy of this, named "01-stereo-raw.wav" assuming we are working with .wav files. In addition to the copy you just saved, keep the audio open in your software.

2.) Now, using the file which is still open, invert the polarity of only the right channel. Save a copy of this new stereo file, named "02-stereo-antiphase.wav" In addition to the file you've just saved, copy this audio onto your clipboard.

3.) Now we'll make some test files with different versions of a widened image. If "01-stereo-raw.wav" is not still open (from step 1), then open it again. We will paste the "02-stereo-antiphase" audio (which is in your clipboard since step 2) on top of the "01-stereo-raw" audio. However, don't just paste the clipboard in the same place and the same level! (If you did that, the level of the L channel would become 6dB louder, and the R channel would disappear.)

For our first test, paste the clipboard onto the raw audio, in such a way that the raw audio and clipboard audio are combined (added together). You do NOT want the clipboard audio to replace the raw audio. The beginning of the clipboard audio should start 25mSec after the beginning of the "01-stereo-raw" file. The level of the clipboard audio should be 50% (or -6dB) compared to the original clipboard level. Save a copy of the resulting audio as "03-stereo-test.wav" and listen to it. Keep written notes so you have a record of what delay and what level you used on each test file.

How do you like the test? Do you hear the widening? You can try other settings. There are no "correct" settings. Settings that sound good with voice might be very different from settings that sound good with a bass line. If you make the pasted level a lower percentage, you will hear less widening. If you make the pasted level a higher percentage, you will hear more widening, but it might start to sound a bit strange. If you make the delay time greater than 25mSec, it will eventually start to sound like an echo. Try some different tests. Be sure you always go back to "01-stereo-raw.wav" as your main file, and add the "02-stereo-antiphase" as your secondary (lower level) file. Save each test with a new file name (e.g. "04-stereo-test.wav" etc.), and be sure to make a note of the changed settings.

The above process "widens" the stereo image, but does not necessarily make it "fuller." Many audio editing programs can generate artificial reverb which will add some "fullness" or "depth" to the sound. Once you have a widened stereo image, adding a tiny bit of stereo reverb may be helpful.

Remember that human hearing does *not* perceive directionality very well at low frequencies. So a given amount of widening (a given delay time and level) might sound very noticeable at higher frequencies, but might be barely noticeable at lower frequencies.

Good luck! Let me know how this turns out, or if you have any further questions.