All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:23 am 

...What it is?

In the singleband AGC, there is a slider for a setting described as "Relative Release Distance." The default setting is -18.1 db (12.5%).

I've been trying to figure out what it does or find anything in the documentation, and I still don't have a clue.

Could somebody fill me in? I suspect it could be useful, but I have no idea how.

Thanks!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 am 

It's a bit of a strange thing. The AGC has to continuously calculate what the "distance" is between its current level and the level of the audio coming in. If the input audio would suddenly drop to a very low level (or complete silence even) this distance would become very large. Depending on its settings, the AGC may want to start releasing very quickly (because the distance it has to cover is almost infinitely large).
This isn't always desirable, the silent part might only be very short. The "Relative release distance" makes the AGC pretend the difference between its current level and the input level is at most 18.1dB (in your case). So it calculates what is has to do based on the minimum of the actual difference and the relative release distance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 am 

Very interesting! I think I understand the concept... and I like it. It's almost like a "floating gate," dependent on the peak before the silence. Sounds like you could run fast release times but use this to keep it from pumping and breathing.

How often does it recalculate, and is it based on the release time or something else? In other words, we go to a 30 db drop in sound, but the Relative Release Distance is only set to -10, so it only drops 10 db... when will it say, "hey, we're still not at 100%, time to drop another 10 db?"

I noticed you could only bring it to 0 db, which made the compressor stand still... it would be fun (although maybe not very useful) to able to go to the positive side with the settings... I'm not sure if the result would be like an expander or what, but I bet it would be pretty strange! :-)

Thanks again for your quick responses!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 am 

Quote:
How often does it recalculate, and is it based on the release time or something else? In other words, we go to a 30 db drop in sound, but the Relative Release Distance is only set to -10, so it only drops 10 db... when will it say, "hey, we're still not at 100%, time to drop another 10 db?"
If I'm not mistaken every sample, so quite often :)