All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: The "Hear" Button?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:03 pm 

Hi all!

Been using this great tool for a while now, and only just upgraded to 8.51 (from 8.31).

This is probably a very stupid question, but be gentle with me! Here goes ...

What's the "Hear" button for? I'm not sure I ever saw it in 8.31, and its use doesn't seem to be documented in the Help documentation.

I'm guessing that activating it inserts the relevant processing into the audio path? But if so, does that mean that all the processes where it isn't activated aren't actually having any effect? That would apply to most of my current processes - i.e. AGC, ACR Stereo, Equaliser, True Bass, Multiband & Multiband 2, and Bandpass Filter!

I tried enabling it on the (new for me) Auto EQ, and my output becomes distorted (I appreciate that other processes need to be modified to make it work properly), which is what is leading me to think that activation of this button squirts the relevant process into the chain - but my output actually sounds as though the other processes are already enabled, as they were before I upgraded, even though the "Hear" buttons are black.

I'm a bit confused!

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: The "Hear" Button?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:15 pm 

The 'Hear' button lets you sample what the audio sounds like at that spot in the processing chain. (so no filters after that spot are applied to what you hear)

Post subject: Re: The "Hear" Button?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:24 pm 

Quote:
The 'Hear' button lets you sample what the audio sounds like at that spot in the processing chain. (so no filters after that spot are applied to what you hear)
___

Ahh, right, many thanks, CV - I thought I'd sussed it out after I'd posted my post and it was awaiting moderator clearance, and I'd thought about it some more; I figured it was to hear the selected process in isolation, which is not a million miles from your description :)

I'm grateful to you for taking the time to answer ;)