All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:11 pm 

Hi, I've just discovered Stereo Tool :) I'm a mastering engineer and I can definitely see the benefit (to me personally) of certain parts of the plugin (I'm using the 64 bit vst version in Reaper on W10). I have two main questions.. On the home page, within the comparison between free and registered, there is a tick next to each function of the plugin upon registering - this indicates full functionality to me. Yet, on the 'register' page there are various other license options. Could someone please clarify exactly what one gets for the basic license?

Also, in the free version at least, there appears to be no way to change either the number of bands, or the frequency of bands, in the multiband sections (compressor and natural dynamics). Is this something that becomes unlocked upon registering? Or is there some other way to change them?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:35 am 

Hi there,

The website is about to get a major rework, it'll be clearer on the new one :)
For now: with the basic version you get everything except declipper + natural dynamics, delossifier and all FM-related stuff (which you don't need obviously if you're not doing FM broadcasts). You do however get all the other stuff, like AGC, equalizer, stereo enhancement, multiband, etc. The declipper can restore clipped audio really well, so I can recommend getting that one with the basic license (you get a discount if you buy them in one license), but it's not required for basic operation.

You can change the bands in every version. However, by default Stereo Tool runs in "Basic" operation mode, which hides most of the settings and just sets them to sensible defaults (otherwise the number of settings would be overwhelming to new users). Somewhere under the 'Configuration' tab you can change the level to e.g. Advanced or Expert, then you will be able to change the bands.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:26 pm 

Thanks for the clarification on the license. In actual fact the free sections cover everything I need but I will probably buy a license anyway to support the product :) I currently use Izotope's declipper from the RX Elements pack which I'm happy with. I'm still slightly confused about the free aspect because I'm sure the nag voice played a few times when none of the modules were active (I thought it was only when you activated a 'paid' module?) - of course, I could be wrong there but I'm pretty sure it did.

That's great that there's an expert mode - lots of very useful controls exposed for mastering purposes.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

The VST plugin has no free version, any license you buy will enable all these options. The reason for this is that very few people use VST plugins for private use (listening to music in a music player for example), for DSP they often do. Any of the licenses will unlock the "free" features for the VST plugin (Basic is the cheapest license).

You might want to do a comparison of the two declippers....