All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:21 am 

https://soundcloud.com/seanmhargrave/kr ... -2004-2005

Does anyone know what processor this terrestrial station used?

I don't know where else to put this post, so forgive me if it's in the wrong place. I have tried many years to find out (just short of calling up and asking them myself) definitively what airchain processor was used by a terrestrial station in my area. I have heard an Omnia 6 sample from a Romanian station called Europa FM that sounded somewhat similar, but I'm not entirely sure.

I keep reading about that "Omnia growl" in the forums in different places, and I wonder if the nearly distorted bass this station had is what everyone is referring to. If it were an Omnia, it would have to be an Omnia 5 as this station was acquired (and relocated) by Clear Channel sometime around 2002 or 2003. It did not change formats, but went from very light (if any) processing since its inception in the early 1990s on into its acquisition by CC, at which point all five stations under their control exhibited the loud and heavy bass sound from the sample. In 2009 they upgraded to HD transmitters and all five stations returned to softer processing.

I have always had extremely good high-frequency hearing, and I've always been fascinated by KRVE's former distinct sound, as it was a welcome break from all the shrill, slurred and distorted highs most Optimod units in my area were set to produce. It honestly almost reminds me of dbx Type II noise reduction (if anyone is familiar with that). It has a very distinct characteristic deep punch to the low end, bright mid-tone sparkle in the core vocal ranges, and lighter processing above 8KHz.

Long story short, I'm asking about this because I'm trying (and mostly failing) to create a Stereo Tool preset that closely matches this sound, and it would help tremendously to know what unit the station used so I know the order of processing and the number of bands to use in the Multiband section.

Any assistance identifying this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
SMH.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 pm 

Sean, check your PMs.