All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:40 pm 

Hey Everyone,
First of all Stereo Tool is an amazing piece of software for what it offer. I hope the gurus around here may be able to help me. I'm studying broadcasting engineering & production. My final project is to setup a virtual (internet radio stream) and design our own sonic signature on the station as engineers. I've setup stations in the past using other dsp software ie; Audio Proc, Stereo Tools (Way back when it was brand new), and the built in audio processors on Sam Broadcaster. However, that being when I was a teen in the early 2000's, since then I've learned some, but its why now I'm going back to the school of the age of 29, I realized I have a passion for broadcasting both in front of the board, and behind the scene. Ok, thing that kinda feels in some back ground, sorry if it was to much.

To my uniy project, I've got a stream I've been working on the last couple of days, but I find myself having some troubles here is a link to my stream http://71.238.234.115:8000/listen.pls?sid=1. The problem I find myself at, is that with the FM pre-emphasis w/ the preset I've built seems very harsh in the highs, especially since its also at 75LUFS, since I am in the use. We have to meet US broadcasting standards. I've tested it in a Pair of V Moda headphones, Yamaha HS8, and via USB/AUX/BT transmission via my iphone in 2 cars. Other then headphones, which I think is due to their freq ranges, I can hear harsh, super sharp, almost ringing highs on the stream. I know that with FM Transmissions, the reason the highs are super boosted is due to signal degrading over the air.

I'm trying to provide a more EU signature sound to my project, instead of the typical US SLAM everything to get the loudest stream, ie Z100, KISS, Alice 107.7. I am trying to recreate the sonic signature of my favorite EU streams, Radio 538, Kiss FM (UK), BBC Radio 1, Slam FM. These are stations I listen to more then US stations. I would appreciate any help in achieving the sonic sounds of what I'm shooting for, I know y'all are more experienced then I am in engineering sound. The current sound I have on my stream is the EU Preset Beat This, adjusted a little and FM Transmission turned on with 50LUFS atm, but it lacks the sound that my example stations have.

I've tried some of the presets I did a search on the forums and found BBC Radio 1, and Radio 538 presets that other users posted. I find that they both distort and lack high end when streaming over the internet at 320kbs. Idk if my ears are off, or if I'm not tweaking something right, and also, do those stations send their stream straight to the streaming server and FM Air, or do they run a separate processing chain for each.

again my stream link is http://71.238.234.115:8000/listen.pls?sid=1

I appreciate any help,
Wesley J

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Definitely do not listen via Bluetooth, that can sound really harsh depending on which version it is. Use a cable. In general, it's easier to hear harshness on headphones than on speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:25 pm 

@hvz,

Thank you for the reply, i will test on headphones and monitors.

Thanks,
Wesley.