All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:46 pm 

Hello!

Just before someone hit me with - "this was already discussed and posted"... I know, but I need some hardware tips for building PC to run on transmitter site 24/7 - what kind of motherboard, CPU, RAM... Budget is not high - so server racks and other fancy stuff is not on the menu here. I just need some proper hardware names or tips, maybe certain hardware to avoid from?

Our local station will migrate to Stereo Tool (I finally convince program director). Untill now we were and still using Aphex 320D Compellor, Aphex Dominator II and Aphex Digicoder with Pira RDS. And it's about time to put something new in the chain.

I would like to know what kind of hardware for reliable PC should I get? Since we're gonna build PC just for ST and it will be away from the studio on remote site, it needs to be reliable as much as it's possible without server racks and high grade equipment. Just good performance PC.

What I know already:
1. Stereo Tool will be turned on with Declipper, AGC, Gate, Nat.dyn., both MBs, composite clipper
1. Processor i5, since I read that is enough (Haswell, Broadwell or Skylake?)
2. SSD or M.2 will be used
3. Marian Trace Alpha

What I don't know (or looking for experts to help me):
1. Motherboard (PCI, good caps, what brand should I get? Asus, Gigabyte?)
2. DDR3 or DDR4, does it mattter?
4. Power supply
3. Win XP or Win7

I've been through forum but I need your help, perhaps from someone who already uses stereo tool 24/7. Your help will be much appreciated. I've been testing Stereo Tool for several months on my i7 PC with Marian Trace on LPFM transmitter at home, so I'm familiar with software, know every detail pretty much, but... I need your help on building decent PC for Stereo Tool. And I hope that this thread will help someone else in the future as well.

Thank you in advance!
Best regards!