All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool in car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:52 pm 

I would like to have some small hardware platform mounted in car, which would process all sound going to amplifier (and then to speakers, of course). It's nice to have ST in Linux version, but what hardware should I use?
I expect Linux ST to work only on x86 devices, so no-no Raspberry Pi :( Do someone have experience with any small x86 board powerful enough to run Stereo Tool?

(MiniITX is just too big :( )

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool in car
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 pm 

You might be stuck with Mini ITX or larger. -- I have run Stereo Tool on a Celeron j1800 embedded board, but not with the declipper or ND.

I can't imagine the Intel Atom chips would run ST, but I would love to try it if I had access to an old netbook.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

It would help if you could find numbers for single thread performance here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

If you have a CPU with at least 2 cores, you can calculate if it will run by comparing these numbers.

Say you have a preset on a CPU with single thread performance 1000, and your CPU load (use the value reported in Stereo Tool - this is the time spent at the most busy core!) is 20%.
Then on a CPU with single thread performance 500 it will be (1000 / 500 * 20) = 40%. As long as it stays under 90% it should work.

You can play with settings on the faster system to see what happens with the CPU load to see if it will be possible to run it on the slower system.

Please do keep in mind that different types of CPU's might behave differently, even if the numbers are the same in a benchmark. But generally this method is quite accurate for predicting the CPU load on a given system.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:09 pm 

In order to obtain something with reasonable processing power, MiniITX is the only option (if you come across x86 setup which is smaller - probably it will be a dedicated device).

I highly recommend using low-voltage CPU's from recent Core generation (and their derivatives), such as Ivy-Bridge or Haswell Pentiums/i3's with TDP of 35W.

I use one (i3-3220T-35W Ivy Bridge) as a Home Theatre PC. I did try Haswell (bear in mind that it's different socket - LGA1150, instead of LGA1155 - for older Core gens) but it ran significantly hotter with hardly any gain in the processing power, so I sold it.

You can get these Ivy low power processors quite cheap (used ones), motherboards too.

My setup looks like this (bad cable management, but this case is just too small - yet it holds everything - slim DVD-RW and even a 3,5 inch HDDs):

The CPU cooler is very slim (it needs to be in order to fit into this particular case), but luckily it stays quiet (which was the issue in Haswell setup):

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:18 pm 

From all things on pictures i like amplifier :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:34 am 

How about the Intel NUC ? I'm planing on making an Embedded (non-persistent) system image for this platform very soon. And, of course, putting it in the car :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:01 pm 

Really liking the faster processors, Stereo Tool Mini box. Grooving....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:48 pm 

Quote:
How about the Intel NUC ? I'm planing on making an Embedded (non-persistent) system image for this platform very soon. And, of course, putting it in the car :)

Right... but my choice would be always socket-version CPU instead of BGA (in custom builds). Especially with the U-suffix, which means low TDP, low power consumption but also low base clock. 1.6 GHz of base clock seems kinda slow. It WILL run ST just fine, though :) And as far as I can see it IS mini-itx. You can find case like this and use external power supply for it, while using ordinary CPU. Gigabyte has one fancy mobo like this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:11 pm 

Hans, do you plan compiling experimental version for ARM core? I am very curious about raw processing power of small platforms like Raspberry Pi 2 or ODROID C1 (Cortex-A5 1.5GHz quadcore).
Embedding MiniITX machine in the car would be lot harder and more expensive than using little nice ARM board.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:48 pm 

Quote:
Hans, do you plan compiling experimental version for ARM core? I am very curious about raw processing power of small platforms like Raspberry Pi 2 or ODROID C1 (Cortex-A5 1.5GHz quadcore).
Embedding MiniITX machine in the car would be lot harder and more expensive than using little nice ARM board.
I just bought a Pi2 with the hope of getting stereotool working on it.

I don't mind if it doesn't, I have plenty of other things to do.

Here's hoping :)