All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: PC selection
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:06 pm 

Any thoughts about the AMD Ryzen CPU's ?
They seem OK
Passmark looks good for the 4 core Ryzen 3 - 1200 about 7000 pts

Q for Hans
Is stereotool fully optimized for intel ?
Is ST tested on Ryzen ?

Kind regards

Marthijn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 am 

I'll be running a stand alone setup using my laptop and Linux Mint 18. It may be due to trying ST before purchase but i'm getting a ton of static no matter what my source is going to the line in. ST routes correctly and makes the beep and or cuts out but the static can be mild to bad. this is my current laptop specs.
Dell Inspiron

Intel Pentium B950 @ 2.10GHz x2
Passmark: 1709 Rank: 1539
Memory 4GB 2 slots x2GB
HD Audio/Speakers Sound Card: IDT 92HD87B1/3 IEC958

my setup is Mac Pro OS X 10.6.8, Radiologik playing thru main line out to an analog mixer to mix music and mic and back into main line in to Nicecast fx panel and to stream server. Wanted to put the laptop in between the mixer and line in for a better broadcast sound other than what I have available. My Mac is too old to upgrade to OS X 10.12 and can't afford to upgrade and ST is not recognized by OS X 10.6.8. ST Stand Alone seems too run smooth with no issues other than the static sound. If the noise clears up after registration, great.

Thanks
Bearded mic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:23 am 

Stereo Tool does not add static without a license, so this has to come from somewhere else. Are you sure the signal from your mixer is free of static? In that case it may also be the sound chip in your laptop.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 pm 

I found I don't get the static when plugging an audio cable between my cell phone as a music source and the laptop. My original source was my MacBook pro line out then tried connecting out of my M Audio fast track ultra and that gave me noise as well. I haven't tried it on the studio mixer for the broadcast yet so may do a quick test and tell my listeners my station is running tests and making improvements. Glad I'm just internet :-P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:16 am 

Worth noting that I just bought a $30 computer that has a core 2 duo in it, and stereo tool 9.11 runs like a champ on it. I'm going to dedicate it to audio processing to replace an old atom tablet that is on its last legs...

Yes, atom.... Stereo tool (admittedly barely) runs on an atom based tablet, and it's what's currently exclusively powering my low power fm project. I can run ST with CPU settings all the way down and without mpx.. on an atom.. but pretty much every preset works with those tweaks... On an atom. A baytrail. Passively cooled, in a tablet... I'm repeating myself to emphasize just how ridiculous this is (in a good way). And it sounds pretty good too.

The core 2 duo can handle it at 100%, mpx, delossifier and all. Running it on kubuntu. Excited to get it into service

I'm impressed at the optimizations made since I first tried this out in 2015. The atom tablet did not run it back then at all. So kudos for not only adding features, but also actually making the software more efficient.

I did notice in the main post that ST only uses two threads. Is this still true? I ordered a q8400 to replace the e8400, it's a quad core, but each core runs at a lower clock. So I'd be better off keeping the core 2 duo instead of the quad?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:15 pm 

Quote:
I did notice in the main post that ST only uses two threads. Is this still true?
No, it's configurable when the Operating Mode is set to at least Advanced. Though every thread added adds latency, so if latency is an issue keep it as low as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:23 am 

Quote:
No, it's configurable when the Operating Mode is set to at least Advanced. Though every thread added adds latency, so if latency is an issue keep it as low as possible.
Perfect, thank you! The q8400 just arrived today, I'll test it out and report back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Any thoughts about the AMD Ryzen CPU's ?
They seem OK
Passmark looks good for the 4 core Ryzen 3 - 1200 about 7000 pts

Q for Hans
Is stereotool fully optimized for intel ?
Is ST tested on Ryzen ?

Kind regards

Marthijn
Old question but we finally just bought a new Ryzen 5 2600 to run some tests. To my big surprise, with exactly the same settings the Ryzen actually shows a (very) slightly lower CPU usage than my Intel i7-6700K (4 GHz), for the cores that it uses. And it has 2 cores more :) (it has 6 instead of the 4 of my 6700K). Based on the numbers on cpubenchmark I would have expected the opposite.

I have often received complaints in the past that Stereo Tool didn't run very well (high CPU load) on older AMD's, but these new Ryzens look great. And they are way cheaper than the Intels. In fact, the whole computer that we bought for testing was under 400 euro. (Motherboard 50 euro, CPU 160, add an SSD and some memory and you're done - well except for the sound card).

WARNING: These 6-core AMD's do NOT have a video chip on board. The 4-cores that I looked at (for the same price) do. So you can't connect a monitor to the pc. (Unless you add a video card)

(O. And there's no need for 6 cores any time soon. 1 suffices for 100% quality, for 150% you probably need 2 if you're using a full FM preset with composite clipping with Stokkemask).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:33 pm 

Has anyone run ST successfully on a mini PC? I saw an earlier warning against Atom chips, is that still true?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:20 pm 

Bean Canyon NUCs run ST just fine. The NUC8I3BEK2 in particular, with a i3 8109U CPU.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next