All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: AMD Ryzen (& EPYC?)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 am 

Hi!

There seems to be very little conversation about these processor lines by AMD. They are affordable (well, Ryzen is) and competes directly with Intels higher-end i5 and i7 chips.

Will Stereo Tool work flawlessly with them, are there any Intel specific optimizations in use that may interfere with AMD chips..

Post subject: Re: AMD Ryzen (& EPYC?)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 am 

I run it on a Ryzen 2700x without any issues whatsoever. Actually have cranked everything up as a test, and it chugs along just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:41 pm 

I'm currently building a 1U rackmount system based on a Mini-ITX board with a Ryzen 5 2400G. I haven't had the chance to run ST yet as I'm still waiting for the audio device to arrive. But it boots to desktop within 15 sec, of which about 10 sec are just BIOS checks. Very neat: just stick a M.2 disk into the back of the mainboard, so no additional devices apart from the PSU, which could be replaced my a micro psu that sits right on the connectors.

As an extra gimmick, I'm including a crystalfontz CFA635 display which works wonderful with lcd4linux. There I'll show the input and output levels as bargraphs. So when looking at the device in the server room you can see that it's alive and running.

Total cost of the whole assembly with another 1U rackmount Behringer UMC1820 for audio IO is ~ 700 EUR.

Now if only audinate built a Dante virtual soundcard for linux...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

We just bought a Ryzen 5 2600 (6 core!) system, in total (enclosure, cpu, motherboard, memory, ssd) we spent around 350 euro on it. And it's actually running Stereo Tool with a lower reported
"spent of time in processing" (the CPU display inside Stereo Tool) that's (marginally) lower than on my 4 GHz i7-6700K system! So, this definitely works - and it works great. AMD has clearly also solved their AVX issues.