All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:55 am 

weird thing.
i got the license key into the normal 64Bit standalone version and that works fine.
however, i want to unlock the VST aswell and i can't
i have copied the license from the email and when i press the PASTE button in the ST-vst licence tab
it shows the key. but when i release the paste button the key disappears.

same with ctrl v (paste combo) it just wont paste.

now to make it even weirder. if i type in the key i sometimes need to click in the key-field cos it looses focus. AND!!!! i can never get to the last 4 or 5 characters. it just wont let me type them.

SO??!!! am i going nuts or help :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:23 am 
Site Admin

Ah! I received several complaints about entering the code in the VST version but so far none really explained why it went wrong - your description finally does!

There's a workaround:
- Close the VST plugin
- Find the file C:\Users\<username>\vst_stereo_tool.ini
- Open it and look for a line that starts with 'Registration key='
- Paste the key after that
- Open the VST plugin again. It should be registered now.

Based on your description, the VST host is sending updates of the text field which causes the changes to get lost somehow. That should (finally) help to fix it.
Question: Can you type texts normally in the RDS fields? (Configuration -> FM Transmitter -> RDS)?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:09 pm 

Hello,
I've just switched from PC to Mac (High Sierra).

Although the Standalone version of Stereotool accepts my license number, the VST doesn't and has the same issue as explained above (no keyboard entry, no ctrl-v/Paste/paste button), so I can't enter my license.

I tried using both Reaper and Renoise to trigger the VST, same issue.

The solution mentioned above may work on PC, but there isn't such file on OSX. Where is the location of the file I can alter to manually add my licence code?

Thanks,
Bruno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 am 

This is an annoying issue as some VST hosts don't pass key presses to Stereo Tool. We still have to find out if this is fixable at all.

For now, the settings file is located under
/Users/<your username>/.stereo_tool.rc
There you can manually insert your license key as described by Hans.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 pm 

Thanks. I just found that the standalone and the VST don't store their prefs in the same file:

- The standalone version uses ~/.stereo_tool.rc
- The VST plugin uses ~/vst_stereo_tool

The fact the VST doesn't use a "hidden" (.dot) file isn't really convenient, however I was able to edit the file and paste my license key. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:02 pm 

Hello,

I didn't use StereoTool VST for a while, but I'm back to the same issue of registering my license on VST.
Here are some additional details to help troubleshoot the issue:

1. MY SETUP
- MacOS Mojave (didn't switch to Catalina because I still have some 32bit apps I need).
- Music editors: Renoise 3.2 x64, Reaper 4.78 x64
- StereoTool VST x64 9.40 ("stereo_tool_64.vst" file), copied either into
-- /Library/Audio/Plugins/VST, or
-- /Users/bruno/Library/Audio/Plugins/VST (my default VST directories):
the plugin works on Renoise and Reaper but has the issues mentioned below.
- In Renoise Preferences, the "Run all plugins in sandboxes (separate process)" is clicked by default. I tried without sandboxing the plugins, but the issue is the same.

2. ISSUES
Once the VST is running, on either music editor, it works perfectly but :
- keyboard presses are ignored (typing the license, or RDS data for example).
- pasting the license key from the clipboard by clicking on the "paste" button in StereoTool license settings either doesn't work at all (the text field stay blank), or I see the license key displayed in the field but it's immediately erased so I can't validate it).

3. WORKAROUND
On MacOS, it is possible to manually edit the VST configuration file to paste the registration key, as stated above.
The "Registration key=<...>" line *must* be placed in the "[Stereo Tool Configuration]" section to be valid.

It is important to note that although the standalone StereoTool version writes it's configuration in the "~/.stereo_tool.rc" file, the VST version writes its own config into the “~/vst_stereo_tool" file, which is not a best practice (config files should be hidden (a dot leading the file).

4. SUGGESTION to STEREOTOOL TEAM !
I'd suggest for the next versions of Sterotool, a simple feature request:
- when the VST version starts, it should browse the ~/.stereo_tool.rc config file if it exists, to retrieve settings and license key from the standalone version.
- when saving the VST settings, either save them in the same config file as the standalone version, or save them in a separate config file but with a name such as "~./stereo_tool_vst.rc" so it remains standard and hidden from basic users, and not in a "vst_stereo_tool" file.

I understand that the keyboard and clipboard paste issue is more a VST design issue and you can't fix it, but at least that simple workaround may help users to avoid spending hours trying to register their licenses!

(update: I've double-checked with my other VST plugins... they *allow* keypresses without issues, I can type filenames and information from the VST running within Reaper or Renoise... So there may be a way to fix this on Stereotool?)

Many thanks in advance, I really enjoy your nice tool.

Bruno